Loan Consolidation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lefty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MS4 currently. At this point in my education I have taken out my last student loan. However, I am about to start residency for 4 yrs during which time I most likely will not be paying back any money (I will defer my loans) like most residents. Does anyone know if I can consolidate my loans right now since I won't be taking any more out? Or do I have to actually be paying back my loans to be able to consolidate?

My loans are through Sallie May. Does anyone know where I could go for more info about consolidating my loans?

Thanks,

Lefty

Members don't see this ad.

If all your loans are with Sallie Mae then you are required to consolidate with Sallie Mae www.salliemae.com . Your loans must be in repayment or in their grace period to consolidate them. I do not think you can consolidate your loans until after you graduate.

Thanks for the guidance. Sallie Mae's site is actually pretty useful. Now I can log on anytime I want from anywhere and just stare at how many thousands of dollars I am in debt!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You CAN consolidate your loans while still in school, but it must be done through the US Gov't (DIrect Loans). Not sure about the other thing (Sallie Mae only loans).

Yes, you are absolutely correct. You can consolidate while in school only if you have a Direct Loan. If you have even one Direct Loan (certain institutions are Direct Lending institutions where you don't go to a lender to get your money) you can consolidate while in school provided you include at least one Direct Loan in the consolidation.