Loan deferment confusion

Started by SB100
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SB100

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I have some loan debt still from undergrad and just filled out my loan repayment forms. I realize now I can defer that loan debt because I'm still going to be a full-time student (in med school) this fall. The forms for loan deferment are in front of me, and I notice there's a section that the med school must fill out. Should I mail this form with my sections already completed and a stamped envelope for them to mail it to Direct Loan, or is this something that can wait until I get to the school and meet with them in person? I'm just worried that there may be a deadline for declaring loan deferment.
 
Why did you fill out a repayment form when you will be going to medical school? Remember you normally have a 6 month grade period after graduation. So call your FA office and see what they say.
 
When I called Direct Loan they told me to fill it out and send it anyway. I was changing my loan repayment plan for the time when I eventually with repay it. So I guess, if there's the 6 month grace period, I just need to get the deferment forms in before November/December?