loan deferment on fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kleinmak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am doing a formal clinical post-doc fellowship at a hospital. I received notice that my loans are due from grad school and I was wondering if it was possible to defer during fellowship. I already have my degree and make $48K, if that is a factor.

When I look at the deferment request it is a bit confusing (apparently getting a doctorate doesn't mean you can understand this stuff) so I thought I would ask to see what people have done before.

If you know, or if you have done so, do you mind telling me under which category you applied?

Options that seem possible:
- Graduate fellowship program
- internship/residency that leads to a degree awarded
- internship/residency that is required to begin professional practice/service

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Why defer it? You are just racking up interest if you do. If you are having difficulty with payments, get on one of the payment programs (IBT, ICR) they offer.

It sounds like the last of the options you listed is the most appropriate choice. That being said, I decided not to defer my loans on post-doc for the reasons Erg mentions. To each his/her own, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Deferment is possible, although I don't know under which exacter category.

Piggybacking on what the others have said, even if you do defer, I believe it should still possible to make optional payments (e.g., to cover interest if nothing else) while on fellowship.

Thanks! So i have subsidized loans (from back in the day when the existed for grad students) so I am not worried yet about interest ... I am more just having a hard time figuring out how to do the deferment and if it is possible... so if anyone's done it and knows what box to check that would be a huge help!

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Thanks! So i have subsidized loans (from back in the day when the existed for grad students) so I am not worried yet about interest ... I am more just having a hard time figuring out how to do the deferment and if it is possible... so if anyone's done it and knows what box to check that would be a huge help!

Thanks for everyone's advice!

My impression was that although subsidized loans do not accrue interest while you are in school, they would if you defer the loans. I could be wrong, but you may want to double check if you haven't already.