loan question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedman

Future dentist, I hope
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two questions, is it ever possible to get accepted to dental school, and not be able to get enough loans and aid to pay for it. and, secondly, is htere any limit to loans. I was thinking about getting enough loans to pay for a mortagae on a house, and possibly maybe pick up a roommate to help lower the payment. any thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

premedman said:
Two questions, is it ever possible to get accepted to dental school, and not be able to get enough loans and aid to pay for it. and, secondly, is htere any limit to loans. I was thinking about getting enough loans to pay for a mortagae on a house, and possibly maybe pick up a roommate to help lower the payment. any thoughts

1) Sure, anything's possible. But it is HIGHLY unlikely. Federal loans should cover most of your allotted budget. Anything over that would be covered by private loans (most often they are specific private loans for dental education). You may have trouble getting those if you have terrible credit, etc., but most run into no trouble.

2) You can only take out educationally-earnmarked loans up to the amount of the budget your school sets forth. Anything above and beyond that is on your own terms. You may find "education" loans or loans for students at various banks, but those aren't loans on the same terms are your federal/other dental-related loans.

there is a limit to the amount of federal stafford loans, the standard ones from FAFSA, you can take out i think its around 130K maybe a little more, after that you need other types of loans