Loan Repayment/Forebearance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Forebearance or plan change?

  • Forebearance

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 25 year graduated

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

Cotards_delusion

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

Now in last year of residency, starting to look for jobs. Most programs I have looked at offer at least 50K loan repayment. I have 34K in loans currently, but my monthly payments are around $380. I am currently on a 10 year graduated term, and was looking into my options. I think I will either need to switch to a longer term (25) to decrease my payments to ~185 but another thought I had was to just enter into forebearance, stop paying, let the interest accrue but then have it paid off by my future employer regardless. Are there obvious downsides to this I am missing?
 
Hey all,

Now in last year of residency, starting to look for jobs. Most programs I have looked at offer at least 50K loan repayment. I have 34K in loans currently, but my monthly payments are around $380. I am currently on a 10 year graduated term, and was looking into my options. I think I will either need to switch to a longer term (25) to decrease my payments to ~185 but another thought I had was to just enter into forebearance, stop paying, let the interest accrue but then have it paid off by my future employer regardless. Are there obvious downsides to this I am missing?

If you are getting an attending job, the difference in monthly payments between $185 and $380 is minimal to your bottom line.
 
Is the issue that you can't afford the $380 now?
Yeah, I’m trying to save now. I had initially went with a 10 year plan to limit the interest with the understanding things would be tighter now but what’s the point if my future employer pays them off anyways?