Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRZIVAR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello colleagues and fellow physicians. I have a dilemma I wanted to discuss here. I am a newly practicing GP in a rural area in Georgia who just started practicing in a state facility. I am aware that this facility is NHSC (National Health Service Corps) approved with a number of 14 which is qualified for a $50,000 grants given to a physician that promises to work in facility for 2 years. My issue is I am not yet set to stay here for 2 years and as I have heard if you break the contract then the penalties and fees could be even more than $50,000. I know you can suspend and put a hold on the application and resume later and I also know if I go to another facility with the same score I would be ok with good status and will not break contract.
I want to know if it is advised to go ahead and sign up I know there is a 3 month period where you can back out but I do not want to cause any issues for me and facility. I will want to stay here for at least a year but still looking at other options. Anyone has any advise or any experience with this. I was hoping to see if there is any way to apply for this grant and stay within guidelines if I am not at this facility for the full 2 years. I know they have half time grants for $25,000 but still the 2 years stands. Any tips are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would advise against it. As an attending, it was very advantageous to not have such limiting obligations when it came to job search. If you're smart about your finances, you'll make up the difference in first six months.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile