Loan Repayment to Parents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TroutTrout

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would PCP jobs with loan repayment plans pay towards money I borrow from my parents to pay for med school? Or would these programs only pay towards bank or government loans? Any input would be appreciated. I will likely be taking loans from my parents rather than the back as per being interest free however I would want to pay them back as fast as possible after completing residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Would PCP jobs with loan repayment plans pay towards money I borrow from my parents to pay for med school? Or would these programs only pay towards bank or government loans? Any input would be appreciated. I will likely be taking loans from my parents rather than the back as per being interest free however I would want to pay them back as fast as possible after completing residency.

Usually, they only pay back loan companies or banks. They're not going to pay towards money that relatives loaned you.

Reactions: 1 users
On the flip side, family loans tend to be 0% interest, and loan repayment programs tend to be pretty crummy and not worth it, since the jobs that offer those don’t pay as well as the jobs that don’t offer it, and are located in crummy locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read the fine print in your contract--you may need to prove how much you owe (ie, show them statements from your lenders), and it's possible your contract could say the loan repayment check can only be applied to specific eligible loans. I have never heard of the employer making a loan repayment check out to the employee's lender, but I suppose it's possible--not sure how that works out with taxes (if it's considered salary, you pay the taxes, if it's considered a gift, the giver/employer pays any taxes, if applicable)

Ultimately, any job willing to give you loan repayment should be willing to up your salary instead--it's all the same. The only difference is they usually limit how much repayment they'll give (ie., $20k/yr for 4 years). Everything in a contract is negotiable, and currently there's no tax benefit for you or your employer with how employer-provided loan repayment is treated, so it really is the exact same thing as a bonus. It gets taxed the same, and unless it's specifically stated in your contract, you could use those repayment checks for whatever you want.

Reactions: 1 user