Loan Repayments-When

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etno

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how long you have after graduation before you have to start making repayments. My understanding is that you have 6 months for federal. Is this the same for private loans...or the majority of? If I start a residency before this 6 month period, will I have still be able to qualify for the residency benefits.

I'm asking this because I want to travel to South America for an extended amount of time. I'm going to be going to a 3 year school w/o summers. They won't let me defer before I begin. I'm hoping I will be able to travel for 4-5 months or so before my repayments begin. Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering how long you have after graduation before you have to start making repayments. My understanding is that you have 6 months for federal. Is this the same for private loans...or the majority of? If I start a residency before this 6 month period, will I have still be able to qualify for the residency benefits.

I'm asking this because I want to travel to South America for an extended amount of time. I'm going to be going to a 3 year school w/o summers. They won't let me defer before I begin. I'm hoping I will be able to travel for 4-5 months or so before my repayments begin. Thanks for any info!

some loans allow you to defer until 6 months after graduation, some don't. Your school usually sends you a packet describing all those loans when they send you the financial aid decision letter.. or you can always look in their websites... your question is too vague. it's similar to asking what would your interest rate be for a loan...