Loaned money to my pharm tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Its gone. Don't discuss it anymore. And when it happens again (cause it will), I agree with Apotheker2015, bring up the company policy etc and let be your way out. You have worked hard to be where you're at and made the sacrifice to be were you at. I for one don't apologize for what I make compare to techs because they had the same opportunity I had.
 
Why can't you just make it light hearted and say "sure I'll give you $150 if you make my student loan payment this month."

 
Its gone. Don't discuss it anymore. And when it happens again (cause it will), I agree with Apotheker2015, bring up the company policy etc and let be your way out. You have worked hard to be where you're at and made the sacrifice to be were you at. I for one don't apologize for what I make compare to techs because they had the same opportunity I had.

@Sunshine98
I agree with you. People act like we walked to the board of pharmacy, bought a raffle ticket and won a pharmacist license. We did not. Wanna make pharmacist money? Go to pharmacy school and get that license. No apologies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would ask her directly about it. There is no other way that is better than this. Just say, "Do you plan on paying me back for the $150 that I lent you a couple weeks ago?" If not, then don't worry about it...you can afford it. But I would do her no more favors if she does not pay back. For example, write her up for things that she deserves to be penalized for. Don't act as a job reference for her either - and if she uses you as one and you get a call, then mention how you question her honesty and mention this event. Otherwise, don't work too hard for it.
 
1.) don't loan people money - EVER

2.) it's a gift

3.) do help your techs - buy them starbucks/lunch/etc.

4.) don't loan people money - EVER

5.) people are HURT more than helped...they will do even worse when it's your money.

If they really need it
-start driving for uber
-join a study
-tutor kids
-have a yard sale/post on craigslist and sell off unused items
-sell off jewelry/clothes
-get another job
-apply for a loan through high interest hard money lenders or ones that use your car as collateral

funny how I've "loaned" to people before...they were quick to take it, and blew through it. But once they had to work to earn more, it suddenly looked like they didn't need it anymore.

I used to upsell how much a pharmacist makes...now I'm with @Momus and started playing broke...it's just the path of least resistance. "I have student loans...I won't break even until 2025"
 
But I would do her no more favors if she does not pay back. For example, write her up for things that she deserves to be penalized for. Don't act as a job reference for her either - and if she uses you as one and you get a call, then mention how you question her honesty and mention this event. Otherwise, don't work too hard for it.

Seriously?!?!?
 
I would ask her directly about it. There is no other way that is better than this. Just say, "Do you plan on paying me back for the $150 that I lent you a couple weeks ago?" If not, then don't worry about it...you can afford it. But I would do her no more favors if she does not pay back. For example, write her up for things that she deserves to be penalized for. Don't act as a job reference for her either - and if she uses you as one and you get a call, then mention how you question her honesty and mention this event. Otherwise, don't work too hard for it.

This is a good way for him to get fired (and probably get his company sued if he mentions the off-work honesty incident when he is giving a reference for her as a representative of his company.)

The best thing he can do is pretend this never happened. He should never mention it again, never loan money to co-workers again, and if it ever comes up again then deny that it ever happened (nothing in writing, right?) He has already played favorites by getting her a raise and giving her a loan, if he does anything to seek "revenge" on her, then all of that will come out, and he will be the one in trouble for not treating his co-workers professionally. Or worse case scenario, she can make up a story about what he "expected" in return for his money, and when she didn't give it to him, he sought revenge. He made a big mistake by loaning the money, if he does anything to draw attention to this fact (including asking her for the money back), it will make matters worse. Best thing he can do is completely forget it (AND give her a good reference so she will leave and go somewhere else to work.) As long as she is there, he must be extra careful to treat her exactly the same as everyone else.
 
My brother in law asked me for $25 to pay back my mother in law. I gave him the money and figured he'd never pay me back - I didn't care and I knew he was in a rough place. Later that day, he told me he'd have the money in a few days and gave me a check to cash. I was pleasantly surprised. He texted me telling me I could cash the check a week later.

The check bounced and my bank fined me. I never did get the money back. :claps:
 
I knew that was coming when you said he gave you a check.
Supporting a deadbeat family member actually contributed to the divorce of one of my former partners. He paid tens of thousands of dollars to bail out his sister in law and to keep their 2 children living in a home with actual food on the table. It was a constant drain on their relationship and caused him a lot of stress. I recommended buying them a townhouse (or a trailer) and trying to collect rent instead as he would at least have an investment vs throwing money down the hole. Eventually he said no more, ever, period. Then it was all over. During the divorce he found out that his wife had actually given them about 30-40k more than he knew about from money he thought she was putting in a retirement account. It was a bad situation.
Don't start down that road.
 
I knew that was coming when you said he gave you a check.
Supporting a deadbeat family member actually contributed to the divorce of one of my former partners. He paid tens of thousands of dollars to bail out his sister in law and to keep their 2 children living in a home with actual food on the table. It was a constant drain on their relationship and caused him a lot of stress. I recommended buying them a townhouse (or a trailer) and trying to collect rent instead as he would at least have an investment vs throwing money down the hole. Eventually he said no more, ever, period. Then it was all over. During the divorce he found out that his wife had actually given them about 30-40k more than he knew about from money he thought she was putting in a retirement account. It was a bad situation.
Don't start down that road.
That's why you set up a joint account for household expenses (contribute proportionally based on how much you make vs. Spouse) and separate account for your own... A mistake lumping all your money together.
 
That's why you set up a joint account for household expenses (contribute proportionally based on how much you make vs. Spouse) and separate account for your own... A mistake lumping all your money together.
this is exactly what we do - I lumped it all together previously - but mainly because my ex had zero money skills. Plus now if I get a present - I don't feel like I paid for it
 
This is a good way for him to get fired (and probably get his company sued if he mentions the off-work honesty incident when he is giving a reference for her as a representative of his company.)

The best thing he can do is pretend this never happened. He should never mention it again, never loan money to co-workers again, and if it ever comes up again then deny that it ever happened (nothing in writing, right?) He has already played favorites by getting her a raise and giving her a loan, if he does anything to seek "revenge" on her, then all of that will come out, and he will be the one in trouble for not treating his co-workers professionally. Or worse case scenario, she can make up a story about what he "expected" in return for his money, and when she didn't give it to him, he sought revenge. He made a big mistake by loaning the money, if he does anything to draw attention to this fact (including asking her for the money back), it will make matters worse. Best thing he can do is completely forget it (AND give her a good reference so she will leave and go somewhere else to work.) As long as she is there, he must be extra careful to treat her exactly the same as everyone else.

@BidingMyTime
I agree with you. That is terrible advice. This can go wrong in so many ways. Just let it go.
 
My brother in law asked me for $25 to pay back my mother in law. I gave him the money and figured he'd never pay me back - I didn't care and I knew he was in a rough place. Later that day, he told me he'd have the money in a few days and gave me a check to cash. I was pleasantly surprised. He texted me telling me I could cash the check a week later.

The check bounced and my bank fined me. I never did get the money back. :claps:

:smack:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mostly agree with you except for this part. Terrible, terrible advice. Please don't do this, lol

the reason I threw it in there was partly principle...The OP got hussled because there were no consequences to loaning the money. Let the tech try that with a stronger hand to learn what being irresponsible with someone else's money feels like.
 
Its gone. Don't discuss it anymore. And when it happens again (cause it will), I agree with Apotheker2015, bring up the company policy etc and let be your way out. You have worked hard to be where you're at and made the sacrifice to be were you at. I for one don't apologize for what I make compare to techs because they had the same opportunity I had.
How do you know that?
 
I knew that was coming when you said he gave you a check.
Supporting a deadbeat family member actually contributed to the divorce of one of my former partners. He paid tens of thousands of dollars to bail out his sister in law and to keep their 2 children living in a home with actual food on the table. It was a constant drain on their relationship and caused him a lot of stress. I recommended buying them a townhouse (or a trailer) and trying to collect rent instead as he would at least have an investment vs throwing money down the hole. Eventually he said no more, ever, period. Then it was all over. During the divorce he found out that his wife had actually given them about 30-40k more than he knew about from money he thought she was putting in a retirement account. It was a bad situation.
Don't start down that road.
You don't think that will result in them not paying the rent!
 
So I need some feedback. My pharm tech approached me two months ago and asked if I could loan her $150 because she was broke. I felt bad for her and said yes, even though it honestly made me uncomfortable. I lent her the money and also negotiated a raise for her to help her out. Two paychecks ago she said she would pay me back with the next paycheck. We've had three paychecks since and she hasn't tried to pay any of it back. In the meantime, I see her buying a ton of stuff from the store. Should I just let it go and consider it a gift? It's not about the money, but if it were me, even as a subordinate borrowing from a supervisor, I would try to pay it back just on principle. Any advice?

Once bitten twice shy.
 
You don't think that will result in them not paying the rent!
That's the point. It doesn't matter if they pay the rent on time or not, or only 1/2 the time. Instead of constantly bailing them out of their incessant bad financial planning to keep a roof over their head, you provide them the roof. Then your money isn't continually going down the rabbit hole, it's tied up in an investment property that you can eventually sell and recover some, or all of. They could have easily afforded it. And it may have kept his family together.
That's the real loss there IMHO. Her family issues drove a wedge through their marriage that was potentially avoidable.
 
  • Like
Reactions: W19