Loans for Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmogali

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I needed to know about the loans for dental school. Does it start after you graduate and start work or does interest start adding from the time you take the loan?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Depends. Most loans have interest accruing the moment you take them out. The exception are for HPSL and LDS loans that schools have a limited number to give. HPSL loans are capped at 40,000 per year and the interest is paid for by the government until 6 months after graduation.

Depends. Most loans have interest accruing the moment you take them out. The exception are for HPSL and LDS loans that schools have a limited number to give. HPSL loans are capped at 40,000 per year and the interest is paid for by the government until 6 months after graduation.

Cap is 40k? I was under the impression it was much lower than that. Or does it change depending on a school's expenses? I'm a 3rd year and received 9-12k per year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cap is 40k? I was under the impression it was much lower than that. Or does it change depending on a school's expenses? I'm a 3rd year and received 9-12k per year.

Cap is 40k a year. I've been getting it every year. Interest actually begins 12 months after graduation, and is also capped at 5%, much lower than the rest of the loans being offered.

Cap is 40k a year. I've been getting it every year. Interest actually begins 12 months after graduation, and is also capped at 5%, much lower than the rest of the loans being offered.

You get the full 40k per year? Wonder why I get so much lower. Even my mom lost her job the following year lol. Oh well.