Loans or any kind of help for international student!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HABIBULLO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new at this forum. So I want to study medicine at US med schools. And as I hv learn I should first get bachelor degree or at least 90 credits from any US college/university. Then apply to a med school. IF I don't get any green card till that time (I am international student) I should pay all four year's tuition fee at all. And to get loan as a international I need a cosigner. But If i can't found any cosigner, what should I do? or where i can find a cosigner?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am new at this forum. So I want to study medicine at US med schools. And as I hv learn I should first get bachelor degree or at least 90 credits from any US college/university. Then apply to a med school. IF I don't get any green card till that time (I am international student) I should pay all four year's tuition fee at all. And to get loan as a international I need a cosigner. But If i can't found any cosigner, what should I do? or where i can find a cosigner?
If your family or your home country can't fund you or cosign loans for you, you can't get funding for college in the US. It's that simple. If you can get a work visa, then get a job and pay to take classes at night.

Getting your green card is by far the most important thing for doing med school in the US. I suggest you should assume it'll take about a decade before you can start med school in the US if everything goes well.

Bets of luck to you.

Is there any other options. Can anyone give info about green card issue?
Where I can a cosigner and what are the requirements?
If your family or your home country can't fund you or cosign loans for you, you can't get funding for college in the US. It's that simple. If you can get a work visa, then get a job and pay to take classes at night.

Getting your green card is by far the most important thing for doing med school in the US. I suggest you should assume it'll take about a decade before you can start med school in the US if everything goes well.

Bets of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
-a cosigner is a US citizen/permanent resident with money who feels like helping you out. As you might guess, this usually ends up being a friend/relative as nobody just hangs out to give money away
-green cards are hard to get. There are several way to get one. Do some research. Mostly, though, either you win the lottery, or marry a US citizen/permanent resident, or get it through employment
-if I were you, I'd go to med school in your country and then try to come to the US for residency. Not a certain path given the changes going on, but certainly more direct and cheaper

1.Thanks. Is it possible that big companies like McDonald can be o cosigner for me or any other kind of sponsor?
2. Can explain a little more about getting green card through employment.
3. I live in a country which is the part of the "Third World". Our practical rotations anot equivalent, imagining that our theoretical parts are equal somewhere. So it is not a choice for me to get to USA through my country's med school.
Any other options?
-a cosigner is a US citizen/permanent resident with money who feels like helping you out. As you might guess, this usually ends up being a friend/relative as nobody just hangs out to give money away
-green cards are hard to get. There are several way to get one. Do some research. Mostly, though, either you win the lottery, or marry a US citizen/permanent resident, or get it through employment
-if I were you, I'd go to med school in your country and then try to come to the US for residency. Not a certain path given the changes going on, but certainly more direct and cheaper

1.Thanks. Is it possible that big companies like McDonald can be o cosigner for me or any other kind of sponsor? Usually that is not the case. In extreme cases, you might find a scholarship, but they hardly enough to cover a small portion of the tuition. But you can look. I'm sure everything is online.
2. Can explain a little more about getting green card through employment. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis
3. I live in a country which is the part of the "Third World". Our practical rotations anot equivalent, imagining that our theoretical parts are equal somewhere. So it is not a choice for me to get to USA through my country's med school Check if your MD degree is recognized in the US. At that point, you need to complete the 3 USMLE steps and some paperwork and hope a residency program takes you on (fairly easy for some specialties like FM or psych, impossible for others like DERM, ENT, PLASTICS)
Any other options?
not that I can think of. In the US, like in the rest of the world, there is no incentive to spend a ton of money to train people who might go back to their home country to practice medicine

my country's name even is not found on a Californian Board! U think that USMLE will help me?
not that I can think of. In the US, like in the rest of the world, there is no incentive to spend a ton of money to train people who might go back to their home country to practice medicine

I am not sure how to check...google is your friend

I am sorry but I am not knowledgeable about degree equivalence and such. You might get a better answer in the international student section of the forum.

where to find a cosigner?

As I mentioned above, a cosigner is usually a friend or a relative. There isn't a list out there or a place to look for them. Very few people have that kinda money, and even fewer are willing to place it on the line for someone else.

As I mentioned above, a cosigner is usually a friend or a relative. There isn't a list out there or a place to look for them. Very few people have that kinda money, and even fewer are willing to place it on the line for someone else.

Yeah, that's for sure!