Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentallover15

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what is the max subsidized and unsubsidized stafford loans grad schools give?
What about for dent schools?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your financial situation. i.e. parents still claim you as dependent, do you support yourself, do you support others, etc. I have no idea beyond that, but am interested to know. Try posting this question to the pre-allopathic board.

Do you mean for a post bacc or a grad program??? This is something you need to make sure you have straight with your school? When I was applying to my post bacc program, I thought that it was considered a grad program. WRONG> since you are taking undergraduate classes you are considered an undergraduate. And if you already have a BA or BS, which I am assuming you do, and you took out federal loans from the first BA you received, you may not have any more monies left in your pot.

My school considered me a 5 th year undergrad, super senior, and pulled me through the system, but I was only able to get like 10,500 which is not a lot if you are going to a private school. At this point, I have no more money left at all, the max undergrad aggragate that you can receive is 46K, on a masters level its different. But, like I said, you need to find out from your institution.

I even called the NSDLS center people, who were obnoxious and said that you cant go backwards only forwards, I explained to her that it was a post bacc program, and she had no clue. They were helpless. And I warn you, some financial aid people are worthless too, so make sure you do your homework before you decide to take the journey. I had to take a CitiAssist loan to bridge my gap costs. And this year was rejected because I have too much debt all of the sudden and I am a full time student so I have no income. I still dont get the system, its screwy. But becareful, maybe somebody else can shed some light. Also, there are posts on SDN about loans for post bacc programs you can do a search.

jules0328 said:
Do you mean for a post bacc or a grad program??? This is something you need to make sure you have straight with your school? When I was applying to my post bacc program, I thought that it was considered a grad program. WRONG> since you are taking undergraduate classes you are considered an undergraduate. And if you already have a BA or BS, which I am assuming you do, and you took out federal loans from the first BA you received, you may not have any more monies left in your pot.

My school considered me a 5 th year undergrad, super senior, and pulled me through the system, but I was only able to get like 10,500 which is not a lot if you are going to a private school. At this point, I have no more money left at all, the max undergrad aggragate that you can receive is 46K, on a masters level its different. But, like I said, you need to find out from your institution.

I even called the NSDLS center people, who were obnoxious and said that you cant go backwards only forwards, I explained to her that it was a post bacc program, and she had no clue. They were helpless. And I warn you, some financial aid people are worthless too, so make sure you do your homework before you decide to take the journey. I had to take a CitiAssist loan to bridge my gap costs. And this year was rejected because I have too much debt all of the sudden and I am a full time student so I have no income. I still dont get the system, its screwy. But becareful, maybe somebody else can shed some light. Also, there are posts on SDN about loans for post bacc programs you can do a search.

Yes, I was talking about a post bac certificate program...so I can't get any stafford loans for a certificate program? BTW, what post bac did you get into? What is the interest rate if I were to get unsub stafford loans? Thanks!