Location and student life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aosos1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if any current optometry students or students who have visited campuses could let me know about general student life and location around campus. Any information about any schools would be great, from relationships between students (competitiveness, laid back etc) and what there is to do around campus. I am planning on applying to schools this summer, so it would be helpful to know. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,

In which areas are you considering attending school? Any?

Hey,

In which areas are you considering attending school? Any?
Hi! I am open to hearing about any school, but I am interested in UHCO, Berkeley, SUNY, Ohio State, PUCO, ICO, NOVA, and IUSO.

Hi! I am open to hearing about any school, but I am interested in UHCO, Berkeley, SUNY, Ohio State, PUCO, ICO, NOVA, and IUSO.

Ok. I can help out with Berkeley.

Every class has its own vibe, but for the most part people are dgaf. I don't feel that anyone is outright competitive, but as I imagine is the case with most good optometry schools, students are pretty hard-working and smart so averages during first year tend to be high - even when other stuff is going on. The averages slowly drop to the low-80s, high-70s as workload increases. There will always be a few people who are consistently above average even though you never see them study. First year has a lot of social events to attend so you can bond with your classmates. Weekly optional bar night throughout the school year. Lots to do in the area as the school is close to San Francisco and Oakland, and Berkeley itself has lots of food/hikes/events. Faculty is nice for the most part, though a few professors probably need to retire already. Many, many ways to be involved as a student. If anyone isn't involved, it's because they don't want to be.

Berkeley itself is pretty dumpy since it has lots of homeless people and is crowded, but that's part of the experience :)

Are you familiar with the California Bay Area or do you need details on what there is to do?

Even when school gets rough, I feel pretty comfortable commiserating with most of my classmates, even if we aren't good friends.

Hope this helps!