Locum Tenens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nosmoke

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Do you know how much money per day I should expect to be getting doing locum work? I know it may be variable on the number of patients seen, but what about a general ballpark figure?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm graduating soon and looking at locum work in addition to plain full-time work. Any feedback on average hourly or daily rates? Is $150 per hour or $1200 per day low? This is considering a popular urban setting, five patients per hour.

Last edited:
That is not low. FP locums is 80-100/hr. ER is $125+/ hr.

Op obviously meant low for derm, which your post did not address.

To OP, yes, I think that's a bit low, would look for 45-50% but might be hard in saturated markets.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm graduating soon and looking at locum work in addition to plain full-time work. Any feedback on average hourly or daily rates? Is $150 per hour or $1200 per day low? This is considering a popular urban setting, five patients per hour.
that's low, unless this popular urban setting is also saturated with dermatologist too.

Yes, saturated market. Oh well.

Any price ranges for liability and disability insurance? Do people get liability insurance for locums work or should I have the practice cover me?

sheeesh...If I were doing moderate to high volume derm I would ask for twice that doing locums. Heck I get about that much doing freaking psych locums, which must generate less than a third(probably less than a fifth) of the net $ an outpt derm seeing 5 pts per hour(and Im assuming doing lots of biopsies and such) would get.

Yes, saturated market. Oh well.

Any price ranges for liability and disability insurance? Do people get liability insurance for locums work or should I have the practice cover me?

I was told the practice usually covers your liability when it comes to locums work

Disability price range is harder to pin down depending on what riders you may want/need and what kind of monthly benefit you are targeting