Locums cards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GoodmanBrown

is walking down the path.
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a new PGY-3 IM resident, and I'm pondering what I want my life to look like in 5-10 years. I plan on living a fairly austere lifestyle even as an attending, and I'm hoping I don't have to work a lot to pay the bills and enjoy life. There seem to be tons of locums hospitalist positions around the country where I could drop in, work 2 weeks, then take off a month or so if I felt like it.

Does cards have anything similar? Do places offer $xxx to cover hospital consults, EKGs, and echos for 2 weeks while someone is on vacation? Or does the group just switch around to cover the shifts? Is there anything like a tele-cardiologist who just stays at home and reads EKGs, echos, and stress tests all day? Thanks!