Locums hourly rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering what the going hourly rate is for locums more recently? And if people had any advice on how to get a good assignment. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got a text for locums earning 3k a day.
Is that a 9-5 shift or 24h? That's either $375/h which is amazing, or $125/h which is insulting.

To answer OP, depends on your location. I am in the Northeast and if you put enough feelers out you can leverage locums companies against each other. (Basically try out different sites and shifts and stop doing the terrible ones) My best rates have been $230-245/h but at non-sustainable workloads, which is doable for like a weekend or two if you desperately need the money or want to scoop a stock market dip or something.

There are also night shifts that pay like $145/h but you are basically a glorified sleep study participant. If I was younger and didn't have a family I'd live at that hospital and just get paid to sleep as my main gig, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I get postings anywhere from $165/hr to $300/hr (outpt telehealth gig in NY). Most are somewhere between $175/hr to $200/hr, though above that isn't uncommon either. No idea about negotiating or landing these positions as I never really pursued them.

My offers have been between $175/hr to $253/hr, with the pay tending to be higher in places you'd rather not touch with a ten foot pole.

Reactions: 1 user
Any recommendations for good websites or companies to find quality Locums jobs in Psychiatry?