Locums Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unkown primary

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on doing locums since I don't have a job lined up come July (hopefully this leads to a fulltime position). Is there any thing I should be aware of or watch out for? Anyone's experiences or knowledge of locums would be helpful. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Based on your handle, I would consider checking your CV for spelling errors.

Dude the OP is asking for advice/help. He's not here to have ppl criticize him/her for his spelling. OK he/she spelled Unknown wrong...it was a mistake...geez ppl on this board are so anal retentive.

Members don't see this ad :)

It may be a malfunctioned keyboard. My laptop's keyboard sucks, so sometimes whatever key I typed didn't turn up :D Oh well, we're hijacking the thread...

Why don't you actually help the guy/girl out instead of being some idiot anal-retentive that would get punched in the face if you acted like this in real life?

I am planning on doing locums since I don't have a job lined up come July (hopefully this leads to a fulltime position). Is there any thing I should be aware of or watch out for? Anyone's experiences or knowledge of locums would be helpful. Thanks!!

I am not sure what to tell you. I am not sure if you have to get licensed in a particular state to do locums or what. I would talk to your program director and see how to proceed. Your program director should take responsibility if they are producing pathologists who cannot get a job as they either are contributing towards the oversupply problem or producing pathologists who cannot get a job for some other reason. Either way, they are responsible for this tough situation.

I'm pretty sure you would need a license to do locums, since you would be practicing medicine.

You may not need board certification though, depending on the job.

i looked into the idea of Locum after residency, before i signed up for a fellowship...and there were some issues:

A. alot of hospitals want someone SENIOR coming into to the Locum work, not some fresh-out-of-residency person walking in with minimal experience
B. the companies that offer to arrange these Locum positions don't really have alot of experience with Pathology, as they are generally companies that deal more with other 'hotter' Locum fields (Radiology, Neurology, ER, etc...)
C. I couldn't find a single person to speak to who had left residency and gone into Pathology locum work successfully, despite all the grand promises of these Locum companies, i needed some evidence that it could even be done..

and as other said, state-state licensing would definitely be an issue to think about...