lodging in NYC/surrounding area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ems5184

Denist (future)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a place I could stay at for 2-3 days during the first week of November for my interview at Columbia? All the places I am looking at are totally booked except those which are 450+ a night which I am not going to pay. If someone lives near the area who would be willing to do this I would greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

ems5184 said:
Does anyone have a place I could stay at for 2-3 days during the first week of November for my interview at Columbia? All the places I am looking at are totally booked except those which are 450+ a night which I am not going to pay. If someone lives near the area who would be willing to do this I would greatly appreciate it.

hi, my suggestion is to call Columbia admissions and see if they know of any med, dental or grad students that can put you up for a few days. that's probably the best and then you'll get a good idea of how it is to live near columbia and be there.

I remember someone talking about "Bard hall" is that still an option? guys/gals/both? I got a Dec 23 :eek: interview and It wont hurt to find a place now.

Members don't see this ad :)
you don't have to stay near columbia... stay anywhere on the west side of manhattan and grab a subway/taxi....

ems5184 said:

Hey Ems, is your interview on Nov 4th as well?

Look on Craig's list. There are always people on there willing to "rent" their apartments out for a few days instead of staying at a hotel.

Yeah sephasabin...mine is the 4th...yours is too I'm guessing??

where are you staying? you get a place yet?

ems5184 said:
where are you staying? you get a place yet?

Yeah, I got a room at the Lucerne. It cost me about $300... not too cheap. There are a lot of places with vacancies, just not the places that columbia sent in that envelope. Try hotels.com or something like that. If you stay at the Lucerne we can share a cab! :D

I stayed at Hotel Mount Royal on 94th Street. It was about $95 for a night. So check that one out. It's not a very nice hotel but still gives you a bed to sleep in and a shower so you can be fresh for your interview. You can take the subway to Columbia from 96th Street.
Goodluck.

300 for just one night? How long are you staying there? Is it just one bed in the room...I'd be willing to split the room cost if theres another bed in there. Possibly a cap, I'm still looking around though...gotta get a flight too. How much are you paying for your flight and from where?

ems5184 said:
300 for just one night? How long are you staying there? Is it just one bed in the room...I'd be willing to split the room cost if theres another bed in there. Possibly a cap, I'm still looking around though...gotta get a flight too. How much are you paying for your flight and from where?

I'd be willing to split the room cost if I can't squeeze in a fifth interview for that week. Hopefully, I'll know by Monday.

ems5184 said:

ems5184 said:

Yeah, it's about 300 for just thursday night. I'm going to be in NY wednesday and friday night as well, but I'll be staying with some family that I have there. My tickets are from California--They should have been about $190 round trip, but my dad has a ton of frequent flier miles so I used those and got my airfare for free.

I got a private room with a private bathroom in a hostel for about $115 a night. I think it's called "Hotel Malibu" and it's somewhere around 107th street, near the subway that heads straight up to Columbia.

I found it on: http://www.hostelnewyork.com

:luck: