Logging pci cases interventional cardiology fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thedesire

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am an interventional cardiology fellow in a new program. Wanted to have an idea of logging into pci cases. Do you log in pci of each vessel as separate pci or one pci? How about ifr/ffr?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I count every pci procedure as one pci, regardless number of vessels. (thought i guess if i was desperate, a RCA and Left coronary fix is two different guides and wires)

I do count an IFR/FFR/IVUS-only proedure as a procedure/PCI as well, since i am wiring the vessel

1. One pci (unless you needed numbers)
2. I would count ffr or ivus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Abim says therapeutic coronary intervention-250. Ifr/ffr is diagnostic not therapeutic.

I'm not counting IFR/FFR or intravascular imaging. I'm just logging PCI, peripheral cases and structural cases (if I was primary).

One patient - one PCI, regardless of number of vessels stented in one procedure. I must say I am kind of disappointed at the small difference in salary between clinical and interventional cardiology, especially given that STEMI call is so disruptive.

One patient - one PCI, regardless of number of vessels stented in one procedure. I must say I am kind of disappointed at the small difference in salary between clinical and interventional cardiology, especially given that STEMI call is so disruptive.
I agree with you completely. I remember one interventional attending mentioned during my general cards fellowship- its not worth it driving 1am?
Now I understand what he meant

Agreed. Starting is approx 50k more. Earning potential for IC is more obviously but yeah STEMI call is a heavy price to pay unless one absolutely loves IC.