London to Oxford?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squidget

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone could help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it...

I have a flight scheduled to arrive in heathrow airport. How can I get from London to Oxford cheaply?

Thanks for the input! And I'll just throw this last question out there: does anyone know what the interview process at Oxford is like for the four-year graduate-entry level course? Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on the interview!
there is probably a bus from heathrow to oxford. you should check with oxford for the specifics. they must have something on their website, or heathrow may have something on their's. check this out: http://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/heathrow.html
if that doesn't work, you can take the tube to victoria tube station and take a bus from the victoria bus station. it's called the oxford tube, it's cheap, and it departs several times an hour during the daytime and less frequently at night.
please carefully consider your decision to interview at oxford if you are a u.s. citizen. i withdrew my application, because none of the 4 year programs are approved in california. i would not be able to practice medicine here if i were to go.
good luck!

Thanks for the info and the warning about not being able to practice in certain states. I am currently applying to U.S. medical schools also. With only seven available spots available for international students at Oxford, I have not seriously considered the implications of the four-year program on potential residency later on. With the quick turn around, (I should be hearing back by January... unlike the numerous "hold for interview"s I've received at U.S. schools) I figured I can wait to cross that bridge, if necessary. Thanks again for the transportation info!

Members don't see this ad :)
Take either Oxford Tube or National Express buses to Oxford. You can take it right AFTER you walk out from the terminal. They should have one bus per hour minimum. They are the cheapest and most convenient way to get to Oxford. You don't even need to leave the airport to find the right bus. On the other hand, since you are there, you probably want to spend a few days looking around London. There is not much to do in Oxford.

Worst comes to the worst, you could always go by train...

Takes about an hour to get to Oxford from London Paddington - arrive at Heathrow, get on the tube (Piccadilly Line) and go to Hammersmith, change there onto Hammersmith & City Northbound and stay on there until you reach Paddington. Or you could stay on Piccadilly until you reach Earl's Court and change there on to either Circle or District Lines, both Northbound - look here: http://www.thetube.com/content/tubemap/

Hope you can understand what I said now! Anyway, once you get to Paddington you just need your tickets... But if you do decide to go by train definitely buy your tickets in advance (much much much cheaper) - you can probably collect them at the station rather than have them post them to you. http://www.thetrainline.com is useful for prices and things, but you can't look more than 2 weeks in advance of your travel date. I think. Can't remember. OK, you might want to ignore my advice, it's not at all logical :confused:

BTW. the wonderer has the best advice!

Thanks for all the information!