Long Beach, CA Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrB

Family Medicine Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to do a rotation at PHLB in Long Beach, CA. Does anyone know the hospital and or the area and could direct me to a place to stay for the month? I am looking for a cheap motel that rents for the month or a furnished room for the month.

Members don't see this ad.

Try to get a room somewhere close to Cal. State Long Beach (either Belmont shore, second street or Bellflower blvd). Yes it will be more expensive, but believe me you don't want to stay at the cheap places in Long Beach.

I am going to do a rotation at PHLB in Long Beach, CA. Does anyone know the hospital and or the area and could direct me to a place to stay for the month? I am looking for a cheap motel that rents for the month or a furnished room for the month.

I live about 3 miles from PHLB, on the beach (unfortunately I don't have room for you to stay). I also went to CSULB for 5 years.

As the previous poster said, you definitely want to look near CSULB, and in belmont shore or belmont heights. Your cheapest bet would be belmont heights; you should be able to find a room for rent easily (and likely cheaper than one of the scary ass motels in LB).

Check out the grunion gazette for tons of listings: http://www.gazettes.com/classoindex.html

I'd check google maps to see where the places are, but the rules of thumb are:
1) Try to stay east of Cherry Ave
1a) Exception: if you are further south than 4th street, you are good up until about Alamitos Ave
2) 7th and redondo form the upper left corner of a huge area that is good for like 50 miles southeast.
3) Anywhere within about a mile of CSULB is fine
4) North of the 405, north of carson and east of long beach blvd (Bixby Knolls) is also a nice area

Hope that helps, if you need other info, just PM me

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all very much, that is a big help! I am doing an away rotation in Carson City, NV right now and I found the cheapest motel I could find... bad mistake. Only 6 more nights to go in this place. It is nice to have a heads up before I move in for the month.

-B

Have you thought about using craigslist? I've had pretty good luck with that and I know they do have rooms for rent listed there. I would imagine it might be cheaper than a hotel and probably nicer.

Have you thought about using craigslist? I've had pretty good luck with that and I know they do have rooms for rent listed there. I would imagine it might be cheaper than a hotel and probably nicer.

Yep, I think craigslist.org is a great site, but after this past month's experience in a mold infested, smoke filled roach motel I am a little more cautious. This motel even has a dive bar attached to it where the local rednecks hang out and play loud music till 2am.

Only three more nights left!!!! :scared: