Long Term Care Staff Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nextyearrx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an interview coming up at Long Term Care Staff Pharmacist position, I would like to know the job description please!

Also, How stressful (more or less) job is compared to retail/hospital setting?? Do you have to deal with a lot of phone calls??

Thanks in Advance:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I have an interview coming up at Long Term Care Staff Pharmacist position, I would like to know the job description please!

Also, How stressful (more or less) job is compared to retail/hospital setting?? Do you have to deal with a lot of phone calls??

I am pretty sure you get a pay check. Nuff said. JK

I bailed after one week but the site I was at had a high concentration of toxic megacolon style dinguses. My experience is relative and means nothing for your purposes. Here is a link for your info. Good luck.:oops:

Schommer JC, Brown LM, Sogol EM. Career Pathway Evaluation Program 2007 Pharmacist Profile
Survey. June 2007.

Hey guys,

Less stressful, less pay. I worked as an intern at a pharmacy inside a nursing home/sub-acute rehab facility. We got a lot of phone calls for missing meds and sometimes drug questions.

If you work for one of those big factory like long-term-care facilities who serve many nursing homes, then yes you will have a lot of phone calls.

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife is one, works for one of the two major chains. Pay is good, started off $108k in the midwest back in 2010, steady ~3% increase a year since.

Have transfered between 1 large and 1 smaller sites. Work is cushy. She said the larger site was more steady, and no oncall. The smaller site averages even lighter workload but is less steady since short one staff makes a bigger difference. Also since the smaller site is not 24hrs, there is oncall but it's extra pay and you almost never get called.

She mainly complains about the incompetence of nursing home nurses, uncaring/stupid doctors, lack of clincial knowledge of the pharmaicsts she work with, basically the low quality of care / high inefficency of the long tern care system. While she is benefiting financially, she's thinking about go on to the consulting side to be a little more removed from all the braindeadness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My wife is one, works for one of the two major chains. Pay is good, started off $108k in the midwest back in 2010, steady ~3% increase a year since.

Have transfered between 1 large and 1 smaller sites. Work is cushy. She said the larger site was more steady, and no oncall. The smaller site averages even lighter workload but is less steady since short one staff makes a bigger difference. Also since the smaller site is not 24hrs, there is oncall but it's extra pay and you almost never get called.

She mainly complains about the incompetence of nursing home nurses, uncaring/stupid doctors, lack of clincial knowledge of the pharmaicsts she work with, basically the low quality of care / high inefficency of the long tern care system. While she is benefiting financially, she's thinking about go on to the consulting side to be a little more removed from all the braindeadness.

How does one become a "consultant pharmacist"? More residency nonsense or just experience in hospital is good enough?

How does one become a "consultant pharmacist"? More residency nonsense or just experience in hospital is good enough?

Some of the older got there by senority, the younger ones sounds like have residency/bcps or other credentials. I don't think they are looking for hospital experience per se since LTC is a very different beast.

Hey guys,

Is this at Pharmerica or Omnicare? Or a smaller place?

In my case, I knew an older retail pharmacist who did consulting on the side, he retired, and he referred them to me because I was willing to do it. I had no experience outside of retail other than rotations.

In ltc you don't leave until all the work is done. It could take a few hours after your shift is up. You will get lots of call during and after hours about missing orders etc... Not as stressful as retail but still hectic regardless. If your tech called out on the weekend good luck finding a replacement.

Reactions: 1 user

What advice did you give her regarding her career choice?

Has anyone here interviewed at Pharmerica? They basically wanted to know an answer right then as to whether I would take the job, even had to do a drug test. Is it like this everywhere? I found it a bit odd.

What advice did you give her regarding her career choice?

The good thing about LTC pharmacy is that there are only 2 major players in LTC. So unlike Walgreen's purchase of Rite-aide, there is unlikely to be major changes in daily operational level for quite a while. Unfortunately, it also breeds inefficiency.

Knowing what my wife has said to me about LTC, I once old her if I was their boss, I would be able to at least eliminate one of the pharmacist (given how over staffed and inefficient her workplace is). It's a very cushy job, but they way they do things is ridiculous.

She knows it as well, and decided to pursue an MBA. She does it because she thinks her boss is an old fool. I support her because in an environment where the incompetent are promoted to GMs based on seniority, a truly intelligent person who understands business and stands on merits would go far.