Long-term DAT studying? Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chahn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having that it is summer right now, I don't have too much on my schedule so I thought that I should try to be productive and start studying. Now, because my exam is 5-9 months away (don't have a set date), I don't plan on trying to memorize all the little details just yet. I was going to try to learn more broad topics and things that would fall under non-declarative memory, aka "procedural memory". Declarative memory is remembering facts/events and such.

So would starting to study my PAT, CR, and QR sections long-term be a bad idea? I feel like these sections are more "figure it out/apply procedural knowledge" type of questions, rather than regurgitating info. Also, possibly some of the concepts in GC/OC? Please correct me if I'm completely wrong about these sections, as I I'm non-traditional applicant and don't have all the knowledge about the exam just yet. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a light schedule, you should aim to take the DAT by August.

To answer your ques, studying for PAT, RC, and QR would actually be a good idea. But if youre stretching a 5-9 month study plan, I highly doubt that you will be studying everyday for these subjects and will eventually have everything pile up on you (from personal experience). You should really just take out 2-3 months and study for the entire thing. GC, OC, and BIO should not take more than 1-2 month to learn the concepts if you have the right materials

Wish you best of luck