Long term use of antidepressants/bupropion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phosphorylation414

Reaction score
I am about to enter psychiatry residency so I still don't know much about the practice of psychiatry.

I was wondering if there is any disadvantages of long term (more than 5+ years) administration of antidepressants such as bupropion.
Should we seek to taper off the antidepressants if the psychosocial factors have been signifcantly improved in the last few years (and the patient has been feeling and functioning well) -- or should we choose to continue if the patient is doing well without major side effects?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
there are no obvious disadvantages. you dont get addicted or develop tolerance to it. The goal is always to minimize pill burden though. Sometimes people can go off antidepressants. It is patient dependent.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am about to enter psychiatry residency so I still don't know much about the practice of psychiatry.

I was wondering if there is any disadvantages of long term (more than 5+ years) administration of antidepressants such as bupropion.
Should we seek to taper off the antidepressants if the psychosocial factors have been signifcantly improved in the last few years (and the patient has been feeling and functioning well) -- or should we choose to continue if the patient is doing well without major side effects?

Thank you!
These are some of the basic things you'll learn quickly in residency.

Congrats in getting accepted/matched. Focus on getting ready for a hard job. Enjoy some good cooking. Have fun with friends. If it is a new area, explore the city. Get fit/shredded. Pick up some mixology or something.

Don't worry about this stuff as everyone will graduate with at least this kind of knowledge.

Reactions: 2 users
The literature term is “legacy medication”.

Gupta’s book: Deprescribing in Psychiatry is a quick read on the subject matter. There are guidelines for deprescribing, through the pharmacist literature. And an EU website.

Reactions: 1 user
As others have noted, basic information on this topic should be available to you as a medical student. People sometimes make posts like this as a way to get medical advice for themselves. As a brand new member, would recommend giving us a little more information about what you already know and what exactly it is that is unclear.

No there’s no issue with being on long term AD therapy and for some it is recommended