Long time, no see

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClickityClack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, folks

A few of you might know me, though it's been a while.
I took some time away to seek some post-combat/transitional therapy which I never received. Went through a pretty rough dark spell (as my good ol' southern Grandma used to say). Focused nearly entirely on counseling, etc, over the last few semesters, with a couple of classes thrown in so I don't seem lazy. My grades took a bit of a hit with focus aimed elsewhere...I'm better for it, in the grand scheme of things. I'm patched up, with a better attitude and entirely different outlook on things. Totally worth it.

"Get to the point," you say? :laugh:

Well, I applied late. After promising myself for the last few years that I wouldn't.
I need somewhere to burn off the anxiety during The Wait, where there are other folks that understand. I think this is the place.
MCAT: Horrible - I was confused in the timeline; somehow thought I had until December. I had about 3 days to study, and I'd never taken it before.....24M
sGPA: Around a 3.7 or so
cGPA: About the same
Maybe 6-700 hours of non-medical volunteering. A bit of genetics research. I've been tutoring Orgo and biology lately, shadowing a little in the ED. Honors/leadership/all of that... I won't bore you.

I'm complete at:
KCOM
UNECOM
WVSOM
NSU
DMU
NYCOM
LECOM
KCUMB
PCSOM

Still finishing up:
(Yes, ridiculous... I know.)
Touro
PCOM-Ga
VCOM-Carolina
PNWU

I'm wishing I'd have went broader, but all I can do now is finish what I have... and wait. I'm trying to keep my head up, and I'd appreciate positive but honest conversation.

Thanks! And, good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It seems as though you have been making some positive steps in your life, so I just wanted to say good job! Also, in terms of applying this year, I don't think it is TOO late, but it is getting there. Get those remaining secondaries in asap!! Oh, and you don't mention any medical volunteering/exposure. If you don't have any, that is going to be a serious issue adcomms will have with your application...especially osteopathic schools. I would start something as soon as you possibly can, and send update letters to the schools you have applied to. Your non-medical and teaching experience look good. I think that with well written secondaries you have a shot, but you might have to be a bit proactive about it, such as sending in those update letters with some good medical volunteering experiences. Worst case scenario, you get some good volunteering in, and you reapply as soon as AACOMAS opens...not the end of the world :). Oh, and if your mcat is unbalanced, or you have any subscore under 7 you might think of retaking, just in case you do need to reapply...and make sure you give yourself enough time to study and don't take it until you feel ready and you have taken multiple practice tests, under testing conditions, and gotten a score you would be happy with on the real thing. Good luck! and keep us updated!

Pretty positive steps, yes. Feels like I'm human, again.

I'm reaching out now, just to be a part of the community again.
One of the biggest things that I'm looking forward to (hopefully...possibly...) is simply being a member of the class - being in a study group, sharing conversations with like-minded people, and just the overall motivation that comes from everyone working toward the same goal.
Don't get me wrong - the "friendly" competition has been interesting. I'm sure there may be more of it in the future. I'm just ready to sit down with you guys and crack into OMM. Pardon the pun.

I've had clinical exposure, but thank you for the pointer.
I'm just horribly, horribly late on my applications. And, I may be shooting myself in the foot by even coming on here, drawing attention from adcoms that may be reading.

But... late as I am.... I'm here!