Long use of microscope gives me a headache + nausea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plusminus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious: Has anyone had any trouble with headaches and nausea (motion sickness like symptoms) after using the microscope to read slides for an extended period of time? I like path but I don't want to be sick all day.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious: Has anyone had any trouble with headaches and nausea (motion sickness like symptoms) after using the microscope to read slides for an extended period of time? I like path but I don't want to be sick all day.

Thanks.

It goes away. The first time I looked in one for awhile, I got a headache and wanted to puke. Also, when other people drive, it tends to make me ill. When I'm driving I don't have those problems.

Coincidentally, this afternoon I noticed I had a HA, but I wrote it off to
1) Wearing my glasses at the scope and then removing them and continuing to look at slides.
2) being dehydrated due to a massive drinking binge I went on last night.

Can't say that I have ever gotten motion sickness. Just don't focus at anything until your attending stops.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks.

It goes away once you get used to it. I find that the only time I have trouble is when someone else is driving. If they move the slide in fast motions I'm fine, but when they move slowly I get a small headache.

Thanks.

I have the same problem. I'm planning on applying to path residencies next year and have been spending time reviewing surgical specimens on my current rotation-- makes me a bit queasy (I'm also pretty motion sensitive and get vasovagal episodes with nasty nausea). Glad to hear that it resolves for most people.

Thanks for posting the question.

-P.

I got used to it, too. Although a certain attending at my program is known for making residents sick when driving (he laughs about it). I do have to look away several times during signout to keep from getting sick. Other than that, I don't have a problem anymore.

I was signing out with a fellow last year at the end of the year and there was a med student who got sick.

Some people actually take Dramamine or motion sickness pills or whatever. I can't imagine doing that. I would expect anyone would get used to it after awhile.