Long use of microscope gives me a headache + nausea

Started by plusminus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

plusminus

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious: Has anyone had any trouble with headaches and nausea (motion sickness like symptoms) after using the microscope to read slides for an extended period of time? I like path but I don't want to be sick all day.

Thanks.
 
Just curious: Has anyone had any trouble with headaches and nausea (motion sickness like symptoms) after using the microscope to read slides for an extended period of time? I like path but I don't want to be sick all day.

Thanks.

It goes away. The first time I looked in one for awhile, I got a headache and wanted to puke. Also, when other people drive, it tends to make me ill. When I'm driving I don't have those problems.
 
Coincidentally, this afternoon I noticed I had a HA, but I wrote it off to
1) Wearing my glasses at the scope and then removing them and continuing to look at slides.
2) being dehydrated due to a massive drinking binge I went on last night.

Can't say that I have ever gotten motion sickness. Just don't focus at anything until your attending stops.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious: Has anyone had any trouble with headaches and nausea (motion sickness like symptoms) after using the microscope to read slides for an extended period of time? I like path but I don't want to be sick all day.

Thanks.

It goes away once you get used to it. I find that the only time I have trouble is when someone else is driving. If they move the slide in fast motions I'm fine, but when they move slowly I get a small headache.
 
Just curious: Has anyone had any trouble with headaches and nausea (motion sickness like symptoms) after using the microscope to read slides for an extended period of time? I like path but I don't want to be sick all day.

Thanks.

I have the same problem. I'm planning on applying to path residencies next year and have been spending time reviewing surgical specimens on my current rotation-- makes me a bit queasy (I'm also pretty motion sensitive and get vasovagal episodes with nasty nausea). Glad to hear that it resolves for most people.

Thanks for posting the question.

-P.
 
I got used to it, too. Although a certain attending at my program is known for making residents sick when driving (he laughs about it). I do have to look away several times during signout to keep from getting sick. Other than that, I don't have a problem anymore.
 
I was signing out with a fellow last year at the end of the year and there was a med student who got sick.

Some people actually take Dramamine or motion sickness pills or whatever. I can't imagine doing that. I would expect anyone would get used to it after awhile.