Long vs Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

senoracacahuate

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could help me out with this decision. I was fortunate enough to match to Long and to be accepted to Baylor and now I need help deciding which to attend. I am interested in primary care, however, I do not want to limit myself since I haven't gotten a chance to explore specialties outside of primary care.

Long School of Medicine
Pros
  • The students and faculty were by far the nicest and supportive out of all the interviews I had
  • I really liked that they had six free clinics which they are highly invested in.
  • Closer to home (although it is still about 9 hours so not sure if this can even be a plus)

Cons
  • preclinical grades!!! Students don't seem too competitive or stressed about this, but it is still a big downside for me

Baylor College of Medicine
Pros
  • TMC is great!
  • P/F preclinical. I also like the shortened preclinical years.
  • Better rank? (Not sure how much this really matters)

Cons
  • Farther from home
  • Students say faculty is bad at communicating
  • Community outreach? I asked around and not many students seemed to be engaged much in the community. Although this can also be a sampling error on my part.

Overall, I think both schools are wonderful and have great things that distinguish them. I also received a small scholarship from Long which is definitely a plus, but I don't think it is enough to be a deciding factor in my decision.

I would appreciate any opinions or thoughts on this so feel free to comment. Thank you in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with the above. I'd go with Baylor, personally, and I think you'd need a really good reason to choose Long over it. Baylor has a much stronger reputation in and outside of TX, and I personally also agree that Houston is better than San Antonio. If your family is say only 2 hours farther from Houston than San Antonio, I don't think that distance is that much to be at Long for family reasons. And I'm sure both curriculums will be fine, but Houston is a better medical city and has a lot of opportunities.

Reactions: 1 users
If you’re truly liking both, just go with Baylor. More resources, bigger name, will make your life a bit easier come match time.