Looking back...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rochagurl89

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...do you wish you had applied to a combined medical program?

Or do you think that the people who could get accepted to one of those could just as easily get in the traditional way?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very happy I didn't apply to a combined program. Applying regularly gives you the flexibility of choosing schools based on curriculum, location, cost, etc. I can't imagine being able to decide the next 8 years of my life as a high school senior. I know some people in combined BS/MD programs that are just really sick of their school and city location by the time they get out of undergrad, and they want to try someplace new. Plus if you meet the requirements for some of the top BS/MD programs, you could probably get into a great school anyways. A plus side to doing a combined program, is that some of them don't require certain scores on the MCAT, which can be really nice.

Or do you think that the people who could get accepted to one of those could just as easily get in the traditional way?

Absolutely not! I loved college, it was such a blast :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I turned one down. Looking back...I kinda wish I applied to more of them! I think if I had applied to programs joined to more competitive med schools, I would have more seriously considered going. Most of them will let you apply to other med schools come junior year, and some of them will even let you take time off before you start med school. I would definitely never have done an accelerated or binding program. And of course, I also know people who got into BS/MD programs who may very well never get to med school because they ended up attending more competitive undergrads, now have noncompetitive GPAs, and are very discouraged...I do think that if you are capable of getting into a good BS/MD program, you are capable of getting into an equivalent MD program, so I guess it's more a question of stress and maximizing options.

that's rly interesting that all three of you share prty much the same opinion...I can see the pluses and minuses for both sides but if u know for sure that medicine is your ultimate goal..why suffer through the mcat/app process?

that's rly interesting that all three of you share prty much the same opinion...I can see the pluses and minuses for both sides but if u know for sure that medicine is your ultimate goal..why suffer through the mcat/app process?

A lot of these programs still require that you take the MCAT. And I'm an overachiever, so I would STILL have been applying to a bunch of other med schools just to see what happened. The only difference for me would have been that I had an early acceptance in hand. I think the reason I didn't search out these programs is because I did not fully comprehend how competitive the process is and figured everything would resolve itself...so in the coming months I'll be able to see what that decision means for me. I also kind of wonder if the school I rejected back in high school will hold that against me...hopefully not :/