Looking for a little help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam mack

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys, I'm a second year medical student. One of my friends just told me about a new book that's coming out that he thinks will be great for those of us who are starting on the wards come July. It's a book about laboratory tests. I checked out the website for the book. It looks pretty good. Can anyone out there who's done third year tell me if this book would be useful. The website is: I dont think so

I just want to know if it would be useful before I scarf up some more money.

See ya,

Mack02

This message has been edited by RBorhani

[This message has been edited by RBorhani (edited 04-19-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

Sam, I'm a third year medical student(about to be a fourth year - thank God!) and I can tell you that I had a tough time with lab tests. I used Bakerman's ABCs for laboratory test interpretation and let me tell you what a waste of money that was. I think its important to get a good laboratory book because most of the general medicine handbooks(i.e Ferri, etc) don't do a good job with labs. Specifically, they will give you the 50 or so things that cause an abnormal bilirubin but they don't show you how to figure out what the cause is.

I took a look at the website that you mentioned. I looked at the hyponatremia and hematuria chapters and I was impressed. Their approach with the steps is easy to follow and not overwhelming. Most importantly, you can figure out what the answer is. It looks good and the price is reasonable too. I can definitely see it being useful on the wards.

Sam, I used Ferri's handbook during third year clerkships and while it is a good book, its laboratory section could be much better. I too had a lot of trouble with lab tests. My personal opinion is that my medical school did a lousy job preparing me for laboratory test abnormalties. In talking with students at other medical schools, it seems that this is a universal issue.

I can tell you that I have been burned on more than one occasion during teaching rounds when my attending asked me a question about one of my patient's abnormal lab tests. All I could come up with was a small differential but I wasn't able to shed any light on what the abnormal lab test meant in relation to my patient. It's not that I didn't try but when I turned to Harrison's, Cecil's, Ferri's - I couldn't get the information.

Sorry for this long winded answer but too make a long story short, the website looks good. Judging from the two chapters, this book will help you figure out the answer. I am thinking of getting it because it will help me for my subInternship.

Hang in there,

Jack the Cat2001

rolleyes.gif
Sam you should know the other two people that have replied to your message well because you all have the same IP address.
rolleyes.gif

If you are a company trying to sell your products...please refrain from pretending to be a medical student and luring students from this site into your site with these types of posts.
mad.gif

[This message has been edited by RBorhani (edited 04-19-2000).]