Looking for a Mentor!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pretty POHA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am a 25 year old junior, working on my BA in Psychology.
My ultimate goal is to go into forensic psychiatry... but I'm running into a few walls from my advisors, and I'm hoping that perhaps I can find someone that will be willing to spend some time with me (via email or this board or whatever), to help me with some questions I have regarding the profession I have my heart solidly set on!

I've recently discovered the rift between Psychology PhDs and Psychiatry MDs: every time I speak with an advisor in my Psych dept, they adamantly tell me that I don't want to be a psychiatrist. "Maybe you should do your homework." Well, I have, and I'm certain that I want to do psychiatry. Medical school will be an exciting (and extraordinary) opportunity for me! I have a 4.0 (although I'm about to get a B in Biology), and I know that this will be difficult, time-consuming, money-spending, and relationship/family-effecting.

I've been religiously keeping up with the Pre-med forums, so I have an idea of what I need to do to get into med school. I have decided to aim on getting into my state school: Colorado University SOM. I am in the process of trying to decide if I should switch my major to Cell Biology or Chemistry w/ a Criminalistics emphasis or just stay with my Psych major. I'm also currently employed full-time at a small business doing accounting, payroll, purchasing, payables, receiving, product design, Human Resources, and more. (Jack of all trades, master of none.)

I'd really like to find someone that is familiar with forensic psychiatry and the many options I'll have as I go throughout my career. I'm looking for someone that may be able to spend some time with me to guide me and encourage me, to be real with me, and to educate me throughout this whole process.

As compensation for your time... Well, I guarantee that I'll make you proud!!

Members don't see this ad.

Asherlauph said:
Hi!
I am a 25 year old junior, working on my BA in Psychology.
My ultimate goal is to go into forensic psychiatry... but I'm running into a few walls from my advisors, and I'm hoping that perhaps I can find someone that will be willing to spend some time with me (via email or this board or whatever), to help me with some questions I have regarding the profession I have my heart solidly set on!

I've recently discovered the rift between Psychology PhDs and Psychiatry MDs: every time I speak with an advisor in my Psych dept, they adamantly tell me that I don't want to be a psychiatrist. "Maybe you should do your homework." Well, I have, and I'm certain that I want to do psychiatry. Medical school will be an exciting (and extraordinary) opportunity for me! I have a 4.0 (although I'm about to get a B in Biology), and I know that this will be difficult, time-consuming, money-spending, and relationship/family-effecting.

I've been religiously keeping up with the Pre-med forums, so I have an idea of what I need to do to get into med school. I have decided to aim on getting into my state school: Colorado University SOM. I am in the process of trying to decide if I should switch my major to Cell Biology or Chemistry w/ a Criminalistics emphasis or just stay with my Psych major. I'm also currently employed full-time at a small business doing accounting, payroll, purchasing, payables, receiving, product design, Human Resources, and more. (Jack of all trades, master of none.)

I'd really like to find someone that is familiar with forensic psychiatry and the many options I'll have as I go throughout my career. I'm looking for someone that may be able to spend some time with me to guide me and encourage me, to be real with me, and to educate me throughout this whole process.

As compensation for your time... Well, I guarantee that I'll make you proud!!

If for some reason psychiatry would not to be an option for you, would you still want to go into medicine?

I don't have a lot of advice, but I wanted to say that I like your rainbow colors :)

And regarding your undergrad major, do what you find most interesting. Whether you majored in psych vs chemistry is not that important to medical schools - as long as you took and did well in the required premed classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
fedor said:
If for some reason psychiatry would not to be an option for you, would you still want to go into medicine?
That's a very good question to ponder. The answer is yes! The human body and brain are fascinating to me! I am constantly trying to diagnose medical problems and reading up the latest medical news... so if psychiatry wasn't an option, I'd want to go into neuro-something. Or perhaps ER or something... I don't know, I hadn't really thought much about it!

Hurricane said:
I don't have a lot of advice, but I wanted to say that I like your rainbow colors :)

And regarding your undergrad major, do what you find most interesting. Whether you majored in psych vs chemistry is not that important to medical schools - as long as you took and did well in the required premed classes.
Thanks, Hurricane. I like your cat picture! He/She is wearing a pretty lai. I think.
Do you think that the required premed classes alone fully prepares a person for the MCATs?

Asherlauph said:
Thanks, Hurricane. I like your cat picture! He/She is wearing a pretty lai. I think.
Do you think that the required premed classes alone fully prepares a person for the MCATs?

I work for a major test prep company (I won't mention the name so that no one will assume that I'm trying to sell!). I can assure you that pre-requisites are adequate to prepare you for the MCAT; however, take a prep class -- even if it's through your school -- just to make sure that you fully understand the way that the MCAT tests the material!

As for Psychology vs. Psychiatry, do what will make you happy. No one else knows what will make you happy, nor does anyone else have to live with the decisions that you make; so, do what you want to do with your life! Personally, I love Psychiatry and cannot, at this point, imagine doing anything else.

Good luck,
mosche

mosche said:
I work for a major test prep company (I won't mention the name so that no one will assume that I'm trying to sell!). I can assure you that pre-requisites are adequate to prepare you for the MCAT; however, take a prep class -- even if it's through your school -- just to make sure that you fully understand the way that the MCAT tests the material!

As for Psychology vs. Psychiatry, do what will make you happy. No one else knows what will make you happy, nor does anyone else have to live with the decisions that you make; so, do what you want to do with your life! Personally, I love Psychiatry and cannot, at this point, imagine doing anything else.

Good luck,
mosche

Thanks for your encouragement, Mosche!
I'm certain that the Psychiatry path is the one for me. I definitely want to be a doctor! I feel that the more "scientific" lean is where I want to be!

Here's a kind of random (okay, not all THAT random) question:
I'm planning on getting an MCAT prep guide book. Do you know of any one of the books out there as being any better than the others? I'll do whatever is necessary to prep me for the test. I still have MANY prereqs to go so I won't be taking it for another few years... but the more I know about it, the better I will be prepared!

Asherlauph said:
Thanks for your encouragement, Mosche!
I'm certain that the Psychiatry path is the one for me. I definitely want to be a doctor! I feel that the more "scientific" lean is where I want to be!

Here's a kind of random (okay, not all THAT random) question:
I'm planning on getting an MCAT prep guide book. Do you know of any one of the books out there as being any better than the others? I'll do whatever is necessary to prep me for the test. I still have MANY prereqs to go so I won't be taking it for another few years... but the more I know about it, the better I will be prepared!

Buy materials/books that prep you for all sections -- including the writing and verbal components of the test! Books that come with CD-ROM materials are, typically, superior since they have extra practice sets/tests. Okay, I will tell you that Kaplan now has the year prep option. The material gives you access to videos, class lectures, and on-line content for an entire year; so, you can also use the materials to supplement school work/classes during the year. The class is ExPENSIVE (about $2500.). Do realize, however, that 75% of medical school students took a prep CLASS; therefore, whether you take Kaplan, Princeton, Barron's or some other product, you are really just levelling the playing field and not, as most students assume, achieveing a significant advantage!

I am NOT trying to sell Kaplan, I'm just more familiar with that particular product. Many people have used Kaplan and found it to be unhelpful. Likewise, other products will have their proponents/opponents. Just find one that works for you and suck out every ounce of information that it offers.

Finally, nothing will serve you more than a good premed advisor/club. Just being around others who are on the same path as you will help you to stay focused and motivated.

Again good luck, and if you have other questions, SDN is a great place to look. Also, don't neglect the pre-allo/ pre-osteo forums.

mosche