Looking for advice/direction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Spaniel1287

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all, this is my first post to these boards and I came here hoping to seek some answers or at least some guidance. To give a breakdown of myself, I just recently turned 26. I graduated with my undergraduate degree in Health Science 3 years ago. I knew I wanted to do something medically related, but I didn't know what. While in my undergrad, here are the relevant courses that I took:

Chem I : C
Chem II : C
Organic Chem I : B-
Organic Chem II : C
Organic Chem Lab : B-
Bio I : C
Bio II : D (retook same class next semester and got a C+)
Physics I : B
Physics II : B+
College Statistics : B
Intro to Psychology : A
Developmental Psychology: A
Abnormal Psychology : A
Human Anatomy and Physiology I : B
Adv Human Anatomy and Physiology II : B+ (both with cadaver labs)
Microbiology: A
Genetics: A
Biochemistry : B+
Medical Terminology: A

Last year I went back to the university and retook Chem I and Bio I and received a B in both classes, which is a step up from the C I got in both classes a few years prior.

I have worked as a Phlebotomist in a hospital for over 2 years now and am over 4,000+ direct patient care hours. I have 40 hours of shadowing with PA's, and I have about over 500 hours in community service and volunteer work.

I am needing some direction as in to where to go from here. I applied to 7 PA schools and have received 6 rejections so far. On CASPA, it calculates my science GPA to around 2.8 and my overall GPA around 3.1. Most schools you research say they want a minimum of 3.0 GPA, my question is what do you? Sitting at a 2.8 science GPA, there is no way to raise that over 3.0. If you were to do the math, it would take over 6-7 classes of getting A's in to get that over a 3.0 due to the established GPA.

I am at a bit of a loss. My early college career, I wasn't as focused as I am now. I went to a local university to do AP 1&2, Microbio, Biochem, Genetics, Med Term and Psych classes. On my transcript, if you add up the last 60 semester hours, I have about a 3.7. However, CASPA unfortunately just throws everything into one big pot and it kind of screws people over who took a little longer to get their head straightened out.

I don't know if I am suppose to just ditch the whole PA dream and maybe try to go the nursing route or what? Thanks for anyone's input.
 
Hello all, this is my first post to these boards and I came here hoping to seek some answers or at least some guidance. To give a breakdown of myself, I just recently turned 26. I graduated with my undergraduate degree in Health Science 3 years ago. I knew I wanted to do something medically related, but I didn't know what. While in my undergrad, here are the relevant courses that I took:

Chem I : C
Chem II : C
Organic Chem I : B-
Organic Chem II : C
Organic Chem Lab : B-
Bio I : C
Bio II : D (retook same class next semester and got a C+)
Physics I : B
Physics II : B+
College Statistics : B
Intro to Psychology : A
Developmental Psychology: A
Abnormal Psychology : A
Human Anatomy and Physiology I : B
Adv Human Anatomy and Physiology II : B+ (both with cadaver labs)
Microbiology: A
Genetics: A
Biochemistry : B+
Medical Terminology: A

Last year I went back to the university and retook Chem I and Bio I and received a B in both classes, which is a step up from the C I got in both classes a few years prior.

I have worked as a Phlebotomist in a hospital for over 2 years now and am over 4,000+ direct patient care hours. I have 40 hours of shadowing with PA's, and I have about over 500 hours in community service and volunteer work.

I am needing some direction as in to where to go from here. I applied to 7 PA schools and have received 6 rejections so far. On CASPA, it calculates my science GPA to around 2.8 and my overall GPA around 3.1. Most schools you research say they want a minimum of 3.0 GPA, my question is what do you? Sitting at a 2.8 science GPA, there is no way to raise that over 3.0. If you were to do the math, it would take over 6-7 classes of getting A's in to get that over a 3.0 due to the established GPA.

I am at a bit of a loss. My early college career, I wasn't as focused as I am now. I went to a local university to do AP 1&2, Microbio, Biochem, Genetics, Med Term and Psych classes. On my transcript, if you add up the last 60 semester hours, I have about a 3.7. However, CASPA unfortunately just throws everything into one big pot and it kind of screws people over who took a little longer to get their head straightened out.

I don't know if I am suppose to just ditch the whole PA dream and maybe try to go the nursing route or what? Thanks for anyone's input.

With a 2.8 science GPA few(if any) PA schools will offer you an interview and I doubt any will accept you. The last stat I saw was the overall PA gpa is about 3.5 and science gpa was greater than 3.0(can't remember how much more) as well.

I would recommend trying another field in healthcare that you could get into( I don't know the rn, rt, paramedic cut off gpas) work in that field, continue improving your gpa and reapplying to pa school or if you get into nursing school a NP program down the line.