Looking for advice from Forensic Path people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PunkRockDoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was lucky enough to get a position at the fellowship program in New York (which I am psyched about, even though my Phillies lost to the Yankees ;-P), although they offered me the position for 2012, not 2011 when I finish residency. I was just looking for some advice about how to spend the 2011-2012 year. I was thinking about a fellowship in pediatric pathology, or maybe looking for something in toxicology. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
PRD

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I was lucky enough to get a position at the fellowship program in New York (which I am psyched about, even though my Phillies lost to the Yankees ;-P), although they offered me the position for 2012, not 2011 when I finish residency. I was just looking for some advice about how to spend the 2011-2012 year. I was thinking about a fellowship in pediatric pathology, or maybe looking for something in toxicology. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
PRD

Peds path + forensic path would be a high caliber combo that would make you a very rare bird many would want on their payroll. I can tell yOu right now though that you better :love: :love: :love: doing ped autopsies because you can bet your sweet shaken baby that where ever you swing your scalpel for the remainder of your vertical days your colleagues will very generous when it comes to shunting the peds cases to the local expert.

Neuro + forensic - another good one, though most NP fellowships are two years.

Something tox + forensic - very good.

Cardiac path + forensic - also good.

Surg path + forensic - wouldn't hurt, but wouldn't really help either.

Forensic + forensic (just to thow out the overkill option) - why not?

Beach bum + forensic - now we're getting somewhere.

i too am doing forensic. if NP were only 1 year, i'd have strongly considered it, for both job marketability and because head and neck trauma is so commonly seen in the FP setting. agree with most of the above suggestions, except doing 2 FP fellowships back to back. sure, it wouldn't hurt, but why not use that year to get some other stuff to help you down the road? if it were me and i were set on going to a certain city (you didn't say you'd consider doing the 2011 fellowship elsewhere, which is probably what i actually would do if it were me. is training in ny that crucial? is ny filled for 2011 already? if so, wow, that's early!), i'd try to find a 1 year NP fellowship, peds, or a cardiac fellowship. in my opinion those all provide excellent experience that'll transfer to the practice of FP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am doing the fellowship in NY for next academic year, 2010-2011. I did my audition rotation last Nov (2008), which was the last month they were seeing candidates (Sept-Oct-Nov) and got the fellowship then. my classmates found out about their fellowships a few months after me, so that particular office seems to be on an earlier schedule (except for maybe DermPath?) i don't know about any other offices, since that's the only one i applied to. Baltimore never called or e-mailed me back MULTIPLE times. Their loss:rolleyes:

Doing a fellowship in another city i guess would be an option since you still should have time in this "application cycle". But i understand not wanting to pass up that spot since the program there is so awesome!

I think Peds path fellowship may be useful, as would NP if you could find one that's only a year but i think they are usually two years for accreditation purposes. cardiac path would be great, but i have no idea where there is one!

Thanks for the advice everyone! Right now I'm looking into Peds fellowships. I'll see how that goes.

mlw03- I'm willing to wait the extra year to go to NY simply because I loved the place after rotating there for a month (even while commuting daily from Philly). It just seemed like the right decision. Plus, I can use the extra year to expand a little bit.

HbyHA - I did my rotation in October of this year. It seems like the might fill spots a bit ahead of time, as one of the current fellows was offered his spot with an extra year in between. But yes, the place is awesome and I just didn't feel like I could pass it up! Good luck next year!