Looking for advice/opinions - please help

Started by dtrain99
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dtrain99

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently in a Masters program in NYC, which I plan on using as a stepping-stone in applying to a DPT program for Summer/Fall of 2011. I have a dilemma: I'm ALMOST certain that I want to go the DPT route, but there is still that inkling to sack up and go to med school. Although salary is not at all the primary basis for my career decision, I will admit that it is still an important factor and one that has been giving me some problems. Can anyone here please give me an accurate description of the DPT salary range in NYC/CT? To be honest I'm starting to get pissed off with regards to the wide range of salaries that I find through research. For example, salary.com (which I believe is actually a good barometer of expected earnings) says that the lowest 25% of PTs in NYC will earn around 75K per year, while the highest 75% will earn over 100K. The median is around 89K. Personally I feel that this is great and justifies the time commitment and tuition. I was paging through the various textbooks in the DPT section at the bookstore and this isn't exactly a walk in the park. However, after looking on the APTA website, Payscale, and this forum, I'm seeing salary postings that range from as low as 40K, with most being in the 60K range. Also, someone on this forum apparently has never heard of a PT making 75K 😕 I don't believe everything I read, but I have to admit that it's difficult to get an accurate DPT earnings range and I'm not sure which is more accurate. Like I said earlier, salary is not everything to me, but I will admit that if I'm going to pay approximately 30K per year in tuition for 3 years and come out making 50K or less, I will have to seriously reconsider PT (although I'm pretty sure I will be making more in NYC). As many of you already know, there are major downsides to becoming an MD (4 yrs, huge debt, etc) and I would like to have a flexible job schedule and am willing to sacrifice salary for that, but I think getting paid 50K per year with a Bachelors, MPH, and DPT is a bit ludicrous. I would simply like a more accurate salary range for DPTs to help me with my career planning.

My primary goal is to start my own practice and I already have plans drawn up regarding financing, equipment, etc. but I would like to build a client base and gain experience prior to jumping into that. Sorry for the long post but this has driving me crazy the past few months. On a side note, I recently graduated with an undergrad degree in business, spent around 5 months in corporate America and got the hell out as fast as I could. I know for sure that whatever career I choose, whether MD or DPT, it will be 1000X more exciting and fulfilling than sitting in a cubicle staring at a computer lmao