Looking for advice

Started by suchomski
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

suchomski

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a biomedical sciences student and am applying to PA school for the 2016 cycle. My student resume looks like this:
3.07 cGPA
3.11 s GPA
I have over 2500 hours working as a pharmacy technician (some schools will accept as a form of HCE full, if not half)
I will be EMT certified after this semester and plan to work as one this summer.
I have worked an average of 28 hours a week at the pharmacy throughout college and although it is not an excuse, I partially can thank working to push myself through school financially for the lower scale GPA. I have yet to take the GRE.
I am looking for some insight from the forum as to what you think my chances of getting an interview from a school are. Any advice would be beneficial.
Thanks,
Joe
 
I am a biomedical sciences student and am applying to PA school for the 2016 cycle. My student resume looks like this:
3.07 cGPA
3.11 s GPA
I have over 2500 hours working as a pharmacy technician (some schools will accept as a form of HCE full, if not half)
I will be EMT certified after this semester and plan to work as one this summer.
I have worked an average of 28 hours a week at the pharmacy throughout college and although it is not an excuse, I partially can thank working to push myself through school financially for the lower scale GPA. I have yet to take the GRE.
I am looking for some insight from the forum as to what you think my chances of getting an interview from a school are. Any advice would be beneficial.
Thanks,
Joe

It's going to be tough to get an interview before you get more hands on HCE. Your GPA is too low to stand out on it's own merit, and your work in the pharmacy isn't going to stand out in the face of other applicants with great HCE. Better have a back up plan for the year while you are waiting to hear back so you can make the most of your time. You don't want to spin your wheels while you wait for word from schools only to find out that you didn't get in. You might wish you had taken or retaken more courses, and obtained hands on HCE. I wouldn't expect to get many (if any) interviews with what you have right now. It's good experience to go through the application process, and with another year or two as an EMT you might have a compelling case as an applicant.

You gotta think that if you apply when the gates open (which is always the best plan for an iffy applicant) you will have had no experience as an EMT, and a gpa that is right on the edge of being the minimum allowed.