Looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pelph16

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I apologize for the length post but I come to you all looking for advice for applying to medical school. To provide some background on myself. I am a 33 year old chiropractor who has been in practice for 8 years. I own my own practice and provide evidence-based treatment (conditions treated are limited to mechanical musculoskeletal injuries with heavy emphasis on rehab). While I have been successful in practice, I feel a change is necessary for a number of reasons:

1. If providing evidence-based care, the scope of practice for chiropractors is extremely small which can make work a bit boring and promote complacency.
2. With no concrete governing body (AMA, etc.) I feel that standards of care are left to the decision of the provider which creates ethical problems. This also restricts the evolution of the profession with lack of funding for continuous research.
3. I never subscribed to the overall philosophy of chiropractic. While it's an extremely effective way to treat mechanical injuries in addition to rehabilitation, claims of treating visceral or systemic conditions are pseudoscience. I never offer treatment for any said condition but I often get pigeonholed into that group because I am a chiropractor.
4. The last and biggest reason, I want to do more for people. The most exciting part of my day is when I get to communicate with other health professionals (primary care, surgeons, physical therapists) about management of a patient's condition. I can only do so much as a chiropractor and when I can't help someone, I wish I had the training to do more.

This is why I am pursuing going back to school which is where I could definitely use your advice.

I am currently completing my B.S. in Biology. I was accepted into chiropractic school early (with completion of pre-med requirements). I am not sure if this is still the standard for chiropractic schools but this was the case in 2009. I was not a stellar student in undergrad (3.0 GPA cumulative, 3.0 science). Since I have come back to complete my upper level science courses I have maintained a GPA of 3.7. My intent is to re-take my pre-med courses online (Doane University) to provide myself a refresher course for the MCAT and to prove I am not the same student I was 15 years ago. I will likely apply to D.O. programs because I think I don't have much of a chance with traditional schools.

Am I delusional for wanting to pursue this and do you all think I am going about this in the right way? I can take hard truths if needed, I just know that I am meant to do more than what I am doing professionally and I know Medicine would provide me an opportunity to help people and challenge myself with evolving research and treatment methods for the rest of my career. Thank you all very much for any advice/guidance you can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you have a dream, and are working on the right pathway to get there. Continue on your current pathway, look at the schools you want to apply to, and figure out their averages/policies for former grades.

In general, during your essays and interviews I would caution your views on 3 about the viceral/systmic conditions. This can be a touchy subject. I would also caution the D.O. schools being easier. That is also not often received well.

Your chiropracter spin could defintiely win you some points with the OMM crowd though. If you use it right.

Good locuk

I'm in a similar boat and have decided to pursue this till the end. I have no idea if I'll make it, but I'd rather try and fail than not try at all. Please do your due diligence and see if it will be worth it for you (financial cost, time commitment, etc.)

Please check out Goro's guide for reinvention as a good first step: click here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Life should be lived with no regrets. Just go for it and let the chips fall where they may

It sounds like you have a dream, and are working on the right pathway to get there. Continue on your current pathway, look at the schools you want to apply to, and figure out their averages/policies for former grades.

In general, during your essays and interviews I would caution your views on 3 about the viceral/systmic conditions. This can be a touchy subject. I would also caution the D.O. schools being easier. That is also not often received well.

Your chiropracter spin could defintiely win you some points with the OMM crowd though. If you use it right.

Good locuk
Thanks for the reply, I shouldn’t have been specific in that statement. I think I was venting my frustrations with the current state of my profession. Regarding D.O. schools I wasn't trying to imply that it's any easier, I have just read they would be more accepting of a non-traditional student like myself. Thank you for the advice about the essays, this is all new territory for me so any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm in a similar boat and have decided to pursue this till the end. I have no idea if I'll make it, but I'd rather try and fail than not try at all. Please do your due diligence and see if it will be worth it for you (financial cost, time commitment, etc.)

Please check out Goro's guide for reinvention as a good first step: click here.
Congrats on your new career path, best of luck and keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. Where are you at in the process?