Looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newt8

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently graduated from my undergrad this past spring with a biochem degree a GPA of 3.2, and a science GPA of 2.8. I had always planned to go to dental school but due to some other circumstances I lost a lot of motivation during my last 2 years of school and my grades reflect it. I looked into different careers and was going down the medical sales route but I still know that dentistry is what I want to do. I know I need to strengthen my application and plan on doing either a master's or post bacc program. Would love any advice on the pros and cons of each or just in general when it comes to getting into dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I recently graduated from my undergrad this past spring with a biochem degree a GPA of 3.2, and a science GPA of 2.8. I had always planned to go to dental school but due to some other circumstances I lost a lot of motivation during my last 2 years of school and my grades reflect it. I looked into different careers and was going down the medical sales route but I still know that dentistry is what I want to do. I know I need to strengthen my application and plan on doing either a master's or post bacc program. Would love any advice on the pros and cons of each or just in general when it comes to getting into dental school.
do a masters
you get a new graduate gpa
postbacc would go on your undergrad gpa, and you have a bucnh of credits, so it would be difficult to improve your gpa

Reactions: 1 user
Look up the dental schools that offer a masters in oral biology as a program to prepare for dental school. Your GPA might be low overall, so an upward tend in your GPA will help your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
There are a few things you can do to strengthen your application and improve your chances of getting into dental school.
  1. A Master's degree: A Master's degree in a related field can help demonstrate your commitment to the field of dentistry and can also help improve your science GPA. However, this will take a longer time to complete, and it may also be more expensive.
  2. Post-baccalaureate program: Post-baccalaureate programs are designed specifically for individuals who have already completed their undergraduate degree and wish to improve their academic records in order to pursue a career in healthcare. This program usually focuses on retaking science courses and it could be completed in one year or less.
Both options can help you to improve your science GPA, but a post-baccalaureate program is a quicker option.
  1. Experience: Gaining hands-on experience in a dental setting is also important. Look into volunteering at a dental clinic, shadowing a dentist, or working as a dental assistant. Dental schools are looking for applicants who have had direct patient care experience and have a good understanding of what the profession entails.
  2. DAT: The Dental Admissions Test (DAT) is an exam that all dental school applicants are required to take. Make sure you prepare well for it.
  3. Letters of Recommendation: Strong letters of recommendation from dental professionals can help to demonstrate your passion and commitment to the field of dentistry.
It's important to keep in mind that dental school admissions are highly competitive, and a lower GPA may make it harder to be admitted. However, by taking the appropriate steps to improve your academic record and gain relevant experience, you can increase your chances of being accepted to dental school.

Reactions: 1 users