Looking for Applicants Interested in Combined Dentist-Scientist Training (Current D.D.S./Ph.D. Student)

Started by shwayne
Tags Tags
dds/phd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shwayne

Science.
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I am a current 6th year (D3 year) DDS/PhD Candidate at Michigan. I interviewed at/was accepted to a handful of dual programs circa 2017 and am on here to advertise ours (Oral Health Sciences PhD | University of Michigan School of Dentistry) and to offer any insight to current applicants.

Let me know if I can help/if you have any questions,
S
 
Make sure to drop in on the Research Scientists subforum. We have many more MSTP's there, but i think the advice is similar.

If you give us a sense of how DSTP is different, that would help a lot. The challenge is that most dental students don't see themselves a taking a significant turn to academic dentistry, and many more MD/PhD resources are available.
 
Hi everyone,

I am a current 6th year (D3 year) DDS/PhD Candidate at Michigan. I interviewed at/was accepted to a handful of dual programs circa 2017 and am on here to advertise ours (Oral Health Sciences PhD | University of Michigan School of Dentistry) and to offer any insight to current applicants.

Let me know if I can help/if you have any questions,
S
I am a college student preparing to apply next cycle, and I am considering applying to Michigan (from OOS) to be a part of their research efforts. How did you know you wanted to pursue a dual degree program as opposed to a single degree program?

I want to do research to augment my clinical knowledge and to be a thorough, well-informed practitioner, not necessarily to become a dental researcher. I am not sure if I want a career in academic dentistry or if a dual-degree program would be right for me, but I am highly interested in tissue engineering and the research conducted by some of the PI's at Michigan (Bottino, Ma, Wang). I worry that going DDS only won't allow me enough time to get involved with their work in a meaningful way. Do you have any guidance for a student like me? Thank you!