Looking for Applicants Interested in Combined Dentist-Scientist Training (Current D.D.S./Ph.D. Student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shwayne

Science.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a current 6th year (D3 year) DDS/PhD Candidate at Michigan. I interviewed at/was accepted to a handful of dual programs circa 2017 and am on here to advertise ours (Oral Health Sciences PhD | University of Michigan School of Dentistry) and to offer any insight to current applicants.

Let me know if I can help/if you have any questions,
S

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Make sure to drop in on the Research Scientists subforum. We have many more MSTP's there, but i think the advice is similar.

If you give us a sense of how DSTP is different, that would help a lot. The challenge is that most dental students don't see themselves a taking a significant turn to academic dentistry, and many more MD/PhD resources are available.

Hi everyone,

I am a current 6th year (D3 year) DDS/PhD Candidate at Michigan. I interviewed at/was accepted to a handful of dual programs circa 2017 and am on here to advertise ours (Oral Health Sciences PhD | University of Michigan School of Dentistry) and to offer any insight to current applicants.

Let me know if I can help/if you have any questions,
S
I am a college student preparing to apply next cycle, and I am considering applying to Michigan (from OOS) to be a part of their research efforts. How did you know you wanted to pursue a dual degree program as opposed to a single degree program?

I want to do research to augment my clinical knowledge and to be a thorough, well-informed practitioner, not necessarily to become a dental researcher. I am not sure if I want a career in academic dentistry or if a dual-degree program would be right for me, but I am highly interested in tissue engineering and the research conducted by some of the PI's at Michigan (Bottino, Ma, Wang). I worry that going DDS only won't allow me enough time to get involved with their work in a meaningful way. Do you have any guidance for a student like me? Thank you!