looking for away rotation as resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TomSilverman1980

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to do an away rotation at an academic program in internal medicine or one of its major subspecialties (cards, pulm/cc, hem/onc). I am in third year and planning to work as a hospitalist. Any recommendation for a good academic hospital they welcome residents coming from other programs for away rotation? Preferable somewhere in OH/IN/IL/KY/MI.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking to do an away rotation at an academic program in internal medicine or one of its major subspecialties (cards, pulm/cc, hem/onc). I am in third year and planning to work as a hospitalist. Any recommendation for a good academic hospital they welcome residents coming from other programs for away rotation? Preferable somewhere in OH/IN/IL/KY/MI.

Thank you.
As an IM resident? Why IM? sub specialty I get if you are looking to do fellowship, but…?

"Why" is the most important question here.

You're definitely not going to have the option to go do a wards/ICU month as a resident somewhere else. That's just not going to happen.

If your residency program doesn't have fellowships in one or more of these IM sub-specialties, then you may be able to find a place to do an away rotation in that, but those are generally for people hoping to match one of those sub-specialties who need the exposure and LOR, not for someone planning to be a hospitalist.

So I guess, what's your angle here? What do you hope to get out of it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a community program where I feel the electives are weak especially cardiology, hematology/oncology and GI. For that reason, I thought of getting good exposure in cardiology in some academic program to be better equipped as hospitalist. Thank you

I am in a community program where I feel the electives are weak especially cardiology, hematology/oncology and GI. For that reason, I thought of getting good exposure in cardiology in some academic program to be better equipped as hospitalist. Thank you
What do you mean by weak? You don’t get any cardiology, gi, hem/onc pts? Or is simple bread and butter exposure ?
unless you are looking to do an academic GIM position, that is what you will get as a hospitalist.

Dont see a point in this, esp if you are not going to do fellowship. You invariably will consult those service lines in your job

I suggest that you say you have an interest in those subspecialties and see how it goes. My program does aways at a neighbor program and they send some of their residents to ours as well. It definately can happen, especially if your program doesn't have those fellowships.