Looking for Guidance.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoleDoc

FEAR THE SPEAR!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little of a long story, but I'm looking for some solid guidance.

So I feel like I'm the usual cliched story. Graduated in 2008 with my BS in Exercise Science. Have a cGPA of 3.37 and a sGPA of 3.27. Did some research with my professors, they were eventually published but my name isn't mentioned on any of them =(. Shadowed and volunteered in a hospital, with my county's medical examiner, and now with the Special Olympics. Worked as an Anesthesia Tech for a couple of years but then resigned so I can dedicate all of my time to study for the MCAT and retake it. Retook it, all my scores increased but my verbal flopped (BS:10 PS:10 WR: Q VR:3). Which sucks because in all my practice tests leading to the MCAT I was consistently scoring in the upper 20's like 28 and 29. Now I feel like I really screwed up yet again, I applied to USF's Biomedical Masters program, was then accepted and ready to go. However, at the last min I decided not to go. Honestly, I was afraid of reapplying to medical school with this newly acquired MS degree under my belt and not getting accepted, to then be screwed and be deep in debt with a degree I feel I couldn't really use nor be able to pay back. So I decided to stay home, pick up a crappy part time job and apply to nursing school in hopes of raising my UG GPA, maybe retake some of my old courses and retaking the MCAT. I'm not giving up, its not in me to give up. I honestly feel like I have poor guidance. I'm hoping someone someone can point me in a descent direction. Please, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

A little of a long story, but I'm looking for some solid guidance.

So I feel like I'm the usual cliched story. Graduated in 2008 with my BS in Exercise Science. Have a cGPA of 3.37 and a sGPA of 3.27. Did some research with my professors, they were eventually published but my name isn't mentioned on any of them =(. Shadowed and volunteered in a hospital, with my county's medical examiner, and now with the Special Olympics. Worked as an Anesthesia Tech for a couple of years but then resigned so I can dedicate all of my time to study for the MCAT and retake it. Retook it, all my scores increased but my verbal flopped (BS:10 PS:10 WR: Q VR:3). Which sucks because in all my practice tests leading to the MCAT I was consistently scoring in the upper 20's like 28 and 29. Now I feel like I really screwed up yet again, I applied to USF's Biomedical Masters program, was then accepted and ready to go. However, at the last min I decided not to go. Honestly, I was afraid of reapplying to medical school with this newly acquired MS degree under my belt and not getting accepted, to then be screwed and be deep in debt with a degree I feel I couldn't really use nor be able to pay back. So I decided to stay home, pick up a crappy part time job and apply to nursing school in hopes of raising my UG GPA, maybe retake some of my old courses and retaking the MCAT. I'm not giving up, its not in me to give up. I honestly feel like I have poor guidance. I'm hoping someone someone can point me in a descent direction. Please, thanks.

Hi - it sounds like you have a good plan set up. keep your professional dream alive - and you'll get there :)

if you apply to nursing school, make sure you finish it before switching over to med school, and have a good reason to do so.
why not try SMP?

Members don't see this ad :)
if you apply to nursing school, make sure you finish it before switching over to med school, and have a good reason to do so.
why not try SMP?

I was going to try an SMP, got accepted into USF's Biomedical Science program. However, I was afraid my low MCAT score (23Q) will overshadow any attempt at applying to Med Schools. A good performance in an SMP won't erase a poor MCAT. Had I scored in the upper 20's, like a 28 or a 29, then I would have definitely gone through with it.

I was going to try an SMP, got accepted into USF's Biomedical Science program. However, I was afraid my low MCAT score (23Q) will overshadow any attempt at applying to Med Schools. A good performance in an SMP won't erase a poor MCAT. Had I scored in the upper 20's, like a 28 or a 29, then I would have definitely gone through with it.

SMP is special master program, which is usually 1 year, taking first year medical school courses. It's to prove that you can handle med school workload. Usually you would apply and try to get into med school at the school that has SMP.

Either way, you will need to retake the MCAT to get into med school, even after you finish the nursing program. So between 2 choices: nursing school or SMP, I say go with SMP.