Looking for input - Sydney vs. Melbourne?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanadianHope

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the enviable position of having to decide between the University of Sydney's 5 yr BVMC program and the 4 year DVM at Melbourne. I know many of you will say to go for the shorter program to save a year's tuition and living expenses, but I'd really like to hear thoughts from any of you out there currently studying at either of these two schools. There's no way I can visit ahead of time so any input is appreciated. I know there are threads out there on this subject, but they are old ones - (before Melbourne's DVM program).
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Wikipedia sometimes has great articles that will let you get a feel of the city's vibe. I would look at living expenses & quality of life in each of the cities, as that can be a deciding factor.

Can you e-mail admissions at each of the schools and ask them to put you in touch with a current international student? They may be willing to do that, and you would get the best information straight from the source!

I would recommend really calculating out the expenses for each of the schools. Living & tuition & lost salary (5 vs. 4 years) AND what you will actually be paying when you take into account interest over 30 years. Then think about whether the price differential is worth it to you. The 4 year will probably be more similar to a US curriculum b/c I think they make everyone take university courses before applying.

Are you deciding which to attend? I thought the semesters started in February?

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. Yes, the semesters begin at the end of February but the Aussie schools give you quick answers - so that you can prepare for such a big move, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the Melbourne DVM is more comparable to what you'd find in a North American program - forgive me if I'm wrong, but the BVMC can be taken straight out of high school, can it not?

That's also something to think about, especially if you already have a strong science background - do you want to be paying to learn basic things you already know?

Personally, I'd pick Melbourne. Both because DVM is similar to what we do in NA, and because international tuition+living expenses+international flights is costly enough for 4 years ... why make it 5?

Just wanted to mention in response to the post above- yes school leavers can be accepted into the U Syd 5 year program, but that also goes for many other programs in Aussie (med school included)- as their school system works differently then ours does in North America.

To the OP, not sure if you came across the thread but someone from Murdoch said that although the first year stuff was mostly review, it was a good way to get into the groove of how the school system works over here in Australia. In addition, this may not apply to you, but some people have difficulty in living so far away from everything you know, that it might be beneficial for you to have a "cruisy" first year while you get settled into your new environment (gosh- I'm making you sound like a new pet or something).

Other then that I think your best bet is to research each city as thoroughly as you can. If you basically like both schools, then I guess it comes down to your preference of where you want to live or what program would fit you best...

In terms of the cities....
* Melbourne is not as warm as Sydney.... I think Syd is a beautiful city, but I've only spent enough time there to really be hanging around the touristy stuff.

* If you snowboard/ski- Melbourne is probably much closer to hills then Syd!

Off topic... but just wondering when you sent your apps into the schools- did your application get reviewed for the 1st cycle?

Good luck in choosing, and congrats :) .... Australia is beautiful and I've totally fallen in love with it <3 !!!!

Finally- I hope I helped some what, I'm not attending either school, but I've been thoroughly researching all three Aussie AVMA schools while living it up here in Oz :)

Last edited:
I am leaning toward Sydney, mostly because of the city itself but I really have to consider the costs involved in a 5 year vs 4 year program.

Lostbunny - I'm not sure what you mean by "reviewed for the first cycle"? I applied in May and heard back quite quickly from both schools. I was shocked, actually, because I was unsuccessful in all my applications last year to NA schools and to Ireland and Scotland. This was the first time I applied to anywhere in Australia

I am leaning toward Sydney, mostly because of the city itself but I really have to consider the costs involved in a 5 year vs 4 year program.

Lostbunny - I'm not sure what you mean by "reviewed for the first cycle"? I applied in May and heard back quite quickly from both schools. I was shocked, actually, because I was unsuccessful in all my applications last year to NA schools and to Ireland and Scotland. This was the first time I applied to anywhere in Australia

At Murdoch and Melbourne, they have selected dates when they review international applicants. I sent my apps in at the end of June, so my Melbourne application isn't going to be reviewed until late August/September. As for Sydney, I can't apply until September because I have to write the ISAT (aptitude test- did you write this or did you submit MCAT/GRE?) but because I'm on-shore the test dates don't open until September. Arrrggg!!!!!!

Anyways interesting about the UK schools, I'm looking at applying to Dublin as well- I'm tempted to ask you about your stats but I'm not going to because I'm way to anxious about my own apps lol. Will definately make me second guess *everything* lol.

And I had another "thought" if you will, that really has no helpful information ... lol but I was at the doctor a few weeks ago and the young doc and I got talking. She highly recommended Sydney, because thats where she went for med school (spent 7 years there!) and loved every bit of it. Lol so thats not much help, but I thought I'd pass that on just in case it may help sway or nay your decision lol.

p.s.
keep us posted, and if you need any info/help about coming to Australia please message me and we can chat!! :)

Lostbunny - yes, I submitted my GRE test results, which were less than stellar. That's part of why I was surprised at my acceptance. Without going into specifics, my stats from undergrad were just average at best.
Good luck with your apps!

Lostbunny - yes, I submitted my GRE test results, which were less than stellar. That's part of why I was surprised at my acceptance. Without going into specifics, my stats from undergrad were just average at best.
Good luck with your apps!

Cool CanadianHope! Well congrats with your acceptances.....- I'll let you know once I find out! :D

Hey guys! I live in Sydney and attended USyd for my first (non-vet-related) degree. I'm applying for USyd's vet programme next year, though not sure of my chances - I have almost perfect marks but a fairly non-competitive amount of experience. (CanadianHope, what kind and amount of experience did you put down on your Sydney application?) I would like to apply to Melbourne but my undergrad degree was not in science (and I certainly don't intend to do another one unless it's vet science) and my partner is already enrolled in the USyd med school.

I've never lived in Melbourne but know numerous people who have. The cities are pretty much equally expensive - the most expensive in Astralia - and they both have their pros and cons in terms of lifestyle. Melbourne is definitely Australia's "in" city at the moment and they're starting to face problems of urban overpopulation. Melbourne is adored throughout Australia for its dining, culture, small bars and trendiness. Conversely, Sydney Uni sits adjacent to a suburb called Newtown which is as close to a suburb entirely populated by students as you can get. The Sydney Uni lifestyle is amazing - it's such a beautiful campus that is just minutes away from the city, but it feels open and fresh and green.

In terms of the veterinary programmes, as far as I am aware both of them have rotation-based internships as part of the course, so at Melbourne you would be getting three years of lecture-based study as opposed to four in Sydney. So if the OP has a science background Melbourne would be the logical choice. I'm not sure what the prac details are for Melbourne, but at USyd you are frequently required to travel about an hour drive south-west of the city where the USyd teaching farms are located, so transport costs are something to be considered even if you live on or next to campus. Also, Sydney has a very expensive and incredibly bad public transport network.

In addition, I have been corresponding with a rep from the USyd vet faculty in regards to my application, and I was informed that USyd is very likely to move to the Melbourne model for the intake of 2013 - a four year graduate entry DVM. Next year's BVSc intake at USyd may well be the last one.

Please ask me if you have any more questions about Sydney and USyd, and I can pass on any questions about Melbourne to my Melbournian friends! Also my apologies, but I don't have a clue how the American university system works, so some of my comments might seem superfluous or misinformed. T.

Hi Tristitiae - I had over 3000 hours at a small animal clinic in Canada as well as about 250 hours of equine farm experience (not veterinary, just as a farm assistant).
Thanks for the info on the two cities. Every little bit helps.

hi ,
i'm a vet student from the Sydney program and i am currently in first year :D
while i didn't come from overseas i came to Sydney / vet school from an interstate island called Tasmania. which has no vet school of its own. Other comments are quite correct, here in Australia hardly anything is post graduate ie pre-vet and vet everything is mostly undergrad (straight out of high school).
i personally came from a science background almost completing a zoological science degree ( however i did enough to qualify for Melbourne) before deciding to switch to vet . so like you i had to make to choice of where to go and consider living expenses etc. Obviously i chose Sydney, why because i personally believe it is the better option .

For one Sydney was the first established veterinary school in 1912 (i believe maye 1910:confused:) meaning not only does it have wonderful history but the highest level of respect in the Australian veterinary community when it comes to vet schools this goes internationally as too as far as veterinary students coming out of Aus goes ( and don't forget you qualify for the uk too ) .
two the course is the most diverse and well better course out of the two :p
yes i do go to Sydney so of course i will sing it's praises but a year ago i was in your position and i am so glad i made the choice i did.
as for the course being post high school it doesn't really mean anything over here as it is the hardest course to get in too for domestic students you have to be with in the top 2.5 % of all Australian yr 12 leavers to even be considered so the first year isn't super dumbbed down .

Also the intake is approx 120 students each year out of that approx : 40are high school levers 40 mature age ( ie have done some university or another carrier etc) and the rest is International which are mostly between the ages of 23 to 35 . so as for feeling like you are in a course full of silly teenagers straight out of high school, don't worry you won't be ,they are in the minority .

also if you have done science before ie at uni you can apply for relevant courses credit ie meaning you don't have to take those subjects in first year
thus you don't really have to worry about being bored in subjects you already know and it will give extra breathing space to move in get settled etc .
i have several international friends including some from the us in my course and they easily got credit for cell biology and chemistry in first semester and cell biology in second semester.

yes it is true that for some practicals each semester about 8 you have to travel to our "farms" which are a little far out but THAT is what makes the sydney course so special Camden as it is called is truely unquie to sydney and an invaluble teaching tool unquie to sydney:p . here we have a working dairy , pig breeding farm, sheep, alpcas , fish , horses and horse breeding unit etc at the farms .
the experance gained here is like no other, also there are many vet hospitals out there too ie exotic animals .
SO don't worry about travelling out there as often many of us aussie students car pool and also are veterinary society offers a bus service out there as well for a small fee so every gets out there at little cost.

There are so many amzing things about sydney uni vet school i could go on about it for hours ... and don't even get me started on sydney .
so yeah i hope this helps and ask me anything else you want and i hope you make the best choice and chose sydney:p
hope to see you next year :welcome:

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for all the information, Pigsney! You certainly make Sydney a top contender in my mind.