looking for job while employed in private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jp24

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently employed in a large private practice and looking for another opportunity with a more diverse caseload. Any advice about how to conduct a job search without my current employer finding out? Can your CV list the type of practice without specifically naming it? How about working with recruiters? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to list your current position. I would put the word "CONFIDENTIAL" next to the position.

I'm currently employed in a large private practice and looking for another opportunity with a more diverse caseload. Any advice about how to conduct a job search without my current employer finding out? Can your CV list the type of practice without specifically naming it? How about working with recruiters? Any thoughts?

Any job that interviews you will want to speak with your current employer. They want to know why you are leaving and they want to know what your group thinks of you. There is no real way to get a new job without telling everyone at your current gig you are looking.

From the new group's POV, they want some assurances from your current job that you aren't a "problem child" and that you aren't being forced out and that you are easy to work with and so on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Been looking for a year, and realizing more and more what a good gig I have here. However, would love to go back to TX where my folks are as the NE is way too cold for me in winter although summers are nice. But would rather deal with the TX heat and be close to family. I have been on at least five interviews in the last year and can't find a practice as good as the one I have here. It's tough out there if you don't have connections. But my practice knows I am looking.

Early in my career I told my then partners that I wanted to relocate to another community. It turned out that one of them was a close friend of the president of the dominant group in the city I wanted to move. He made a phone call vouching for my skills and character. Shortly thereafter I was offered an interview and then a job. Been here ever since.

Be forthright with your colleagues. We are all grownups and like to help where we can. When people leave our practice we don't take it personally.

Last edited:
Early in my career I told my then partners that I wanted to relocate to another community. It turned out that one of them was a close friend of the president of the dominant group in the city I wanted to move. He made a phone call vouching for my skills and character. Shortly thereafter I was offered an interview and then a job. Been here ever since.

Be forthright with your colleagues. We are all grownups and like to help where we can. When people leave our practice we don't take it personally.

Most people. I have worked with a few vindictive, malignant bastards in leadership roles who view those who leave as traitors.

Reactions: 1 user
Been looking for a year, and realizing more and more what a good gig I have here. However, would love to go back to TX where my folks are as the NE is way too cold for me in winter although summers are nice. But would rather deal with the TX heat and be close to family. I have been on at least five interviews in the last year and can't find a practice as good as the one I have here. It's tough out there if you don't have connections. But my practice knows I am looking.

No truer words were spoken.

You can choose 2 or 3 current partners to tell in confidence to serve as references. Make sure prospective employer knows the deal. Dont tell everyone at current group.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks to everyone for the replies. It is hard to predict whether my current employer will be understanding or not. Knowing how to conduct a job search has been difficult for me as my current position is at the place where I did residency and I didn't interview elsewhere. Does anyone know of good resources for the ins and outs of conducting a job hunt?