Looking for material to review over the next year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
get a kindle app for your phone or computer and read ebooks (do not read medical textbooks)

Reactions: 1 user
Buy an xbox one and play the **** out of it. Do you realize how much fun you can have ? You have almost a solid year

Members don't see this ad :)
So I ended up finding a PDF version of Moore's clinical anatomy. I think that will fit the bill. I looked at Costanzo's and it definitely seems like it is more summarizing, thus for someone who is already currently in school or is studying for boards or something. I think Moore's will give me some useful information to buzz through over the next 9 months or so that I have left of work before I move to KC.
Hey, where did you find it? Could you post the link?

After/ weekends? Or do you work 24 hours?
As discussed several times throughout this thread (seems you did not read it, thats fine)... this entire thread is on what other types of things I can do specifically while I am at work... I am a normal human being, I dont need someone offering me advice on how to use my free time when I am not chained to the desk. I simply am stuck to the desk 40-50 hours a week but because its lab work (in a low yield lab) I have very little actual physical work that is going on most days. Most of my day is spent staring at a computer, so I was trying to ask around if people had suggestions for creative things to do while working, thats all.

If you want to maximize your time while in the lab there are several things that you can do: Since you are going to be starting medical school, you best bet would be to concentrate on the material you will be learning during your first year. This is usually your foundations and sciences.

1) Listen to some podcasts. Biochemistry, microbiology, physiology.
2) Anatomy is difficult to listen to and even more cumbersome to read, but I found that doing the anatomy coloring book was helpful: http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Color...2721760&sr=8-1&keywords=anatomy+coloring+book, and its companion: http://www.amazon.com/Physiology-Co...1868&sr=8-1&keywords=physiology+coloring+book

Good luck

Last edited:
Moore's anatomy actually sounds like a good bet. Heard it reads like a textbook.

Moore's anatomy actually sounds like a good bet. Heard it reads like a textbook.
Yea I read about 100 pages now. So far things I have realized...

A) The only thing that I will be able to likely remember is anatomical position stuff - superior, inferior, anterior, etc. Which I guess will be nice to at least know WHERE people are talking about haha.
B) There is no way one would be able to actually learn/know this stuff without having the threat of exams on you. Basically just reading it to read it is kind of useless.

I just made the switch over to iphones so I know that will keep me busy at work for at least a month haha. So thats what I will be working hard on at work for the next month. After that who knows, I suppose I will just figure it out day by day like I have for the past year and a half.

A) The only thing that I will be able to likely remember is anatomical position stuff - superior, inferior, anterior, etc. Which I guess will be nice to at least know WHERE people are talking about haha.
B) There is no way one would be able to actually learn/know this stuff without having the threat of exams on you. Basically just reading it to read it is kind of useless.

I just made the switch over to iphones so I know that will keep me busy at work for at least a month haha. So thats what I will be working hard on at work for the next month. After that who knows, I suppose I will just figure it out day by day like I have for the past year and a half.

If you're going to read Moore's, you should just try to cover whichever organ systems interest you. That way, you're not reading the whole book. And instead you're actually learning one or two systems in detail.

Still sounds like a lot of work though haha

There is no way one would be able to actually learn/know this stuff without having the threat of exams on you. Basically just reading it to read it is kind of useless.

For much of the minutiae in anatomy - which is full of minutiae - you need context and you need reinforcement/repetition.

You might also want to look at online stuff like basic pharmacology, or basic biostatistics if you haven't taken stats.

Another idea: khan academy

Hey I'm a med tech too and just got accepted-- congrats! We're movin on up. I have a lot of down time at work too (cytogenetics), and the Figure1 app that somebody else mentioned is great! I have it right next to my google app and I'm already getting a lot more comfortable with various acronyms and whatnot. Plus if I ever see a crazy diagnosis on a case at work I just cruise through the wikipedia pages and the links from there.

I've also been getting a little antsy to start studying because I graduated undergrad in 08, so a lot of my courses are over 5 years old. But I think what I'm going to do is read all my grad school med tech stuff over. It's stuff I'm more familiar with from work, and I think it'll help a lot (at least for me since my school is PBL).

Start by learning the branches that come off of the celiac trunk, superior med enteric artery, and inferior mesenteric artery. That should give you an idea of the basics.

Totally kidding :D it won't hurt you to read moores. The reason I say moores and not gilroy or netters is because moores had text and the others are just pics. When you start school, use gilroy of course .

Short of taking a med-school level biochem, anatomy or physio class, I'm not sure there is much you can do in the way of pre-studying that will give you an advantage of more than a week's worth of knowledge. Having had those classes before will give you a semester's advantage, but you are losing precious free time that way.

I had not been in school for three years and I was able to ramp up my studying habits and get in the groove in about six weeks. My first semester grades would have been a lot better if I was used to studying like a maniac as some of my classmates who went through MBS programs were already used to doing that. But it evens out after that first big block of exams.

The BIGGEST thing I wish I had done is work on my memorization skills. That and learn Spanish (so useful) and get into a steady, sustainable diet and exercise plan. It all goes to garbage the first few weeks of school but you eventually come back to your old (good) habits. Learning Spanish and memorization skills. Get on it... You'll be glad later.