Looking for neuroscience video lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physics junkie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The semester is almost through and I feel like I haven't learned much neuroscience at all. I've been reading all the relevant sections out of 3 different books(Blumenfeld's, neuroscience by dale purves, usmle roadmap neuro) and have done surprisingly well on the exams but neuro still hasn't come together cohesively.

I would just watch our course lectures but the quality is terrible. The co-head of our department(and only MD neuro professor) at my school resigned unexpectedly 4 weeks into the semester and his scheduled lectures were handed over to a freshly hired professor who preferred story telling to content. I found myself putting giant red X's through 3-5 slides in a row for her lectures to mark them as irrelevant. Half the time she would just mention that a pathway exists without bothering to cover it. Example:

vdzjaq.jpg

Does anyone have a link or recommendations to a thorough online medical neuroscience course? Normally I would turn to the Kaplan lectures but they don't seem detailed enough :(

Any help is much appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
kinda in the same boat, the kaplan videos and blumenfeld i figured is adequate

Unless you're getting a PhD in neuroscience, the amount of information you need to practice medicine has a limit For your purposes, and for sanity sake, make sure to know all of the neuro topics in First Aid, and supplement the information with Blumenfelds. High Yield Neuroanatomy is also very helpful. Youtube might be an option if you want to watch additional videos (just verify the facts). Doing practice problems from a q-book might help you fill in the information too. Another option is to have a neurologist or a neuro PhD break down topics that are difficult for you to grasp. Maybe you need to hear the information to help you put it together. Remember however that you don't need to know everything about neuroscience for Step 1, or to practice medicine. Stick with the clinically relevant material so that you don't get overwhelmed. Studies show that the students who do well on their exams use a smaller number of resources than those who do poorly. This means you should use few resources and learn them well, and stay away from trying to acquire more and more resources which could end up being overwhelming and distracting. Good luck!

Unless you're getting a PhD in neuroscience, the amount of information you need to practice medicine has a limit For your purposes, and for sanity sake, make sure to know all of the neuro topics in First Aid, and supplement the information with Blumenfelds. High Yield Neuroanatomy is also very helpful. Youtube might be an option if you want to watch additional videos (just verify the facts). Doing practice problems from a q-book might help you fill in the information too. Another option is to have a neurologist or a neuro PhD break down topics that are difficult for you to grasp. Maybe you need to hear the information to help you put it together. Remember however that you don't need to know everything about neuroscience for Step 1, or to practice medicine. Stick with the clinically relevant material so that you don't get overwhelmed. Studies show that the students who do well on their exams use a smaller number of resources than those who do poorly. This means you should use few resources and learn them well, and stay away from trying to acquire more and more resources which could end up being overwhelming and distracting. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice...especially that bit about limiting myself to fewer resources. I know blumenfeld's/HY neuro are comprehensive but its more stressful to me to read a textbook than it is to kick my feet up, drink a beer, and watch a lecture.