Looking for new residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsres

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a tight spot and am looking for another residency program. I was in a family medicine residency program and it was not working out where I was - Very long hours, emphasis on seeing large volume of patients quickly with poorer quality of care as a result, some attendings missing things. Then I was critcized for my lack of knowledge in some areas and my speed and efficiency (which was undoubtably effected by working hours ACGME would not like). I realize I have some weak areas but was just starting residency and was improving.. But on to my situation. I am now considering everything and am now looking outside family medicine. I want to do work that I enjoy, use my particular talents, have sufficient time off to enjoy life and my family but earn enough to pay off my 250K in loans. This may be tough to find, particularly considering my board scores are not the best but I am willing to try. I had some testing done and I am very good with visual intelligence and problem solving and was told that my mathematical intelligence is very superior. I like working with people but that may not be my strongest area. Two areas I am considering are radiology and PMR. The downside to radiology is that although I got honors in radiology, my board scores are below average and had to repeat them (which is not good for a competitive specialty) and I do want to have some patient contact. PMR is something I have been considering but I did not do a rotation in it while in medical school and have no references from a PMR doctor (and this is getting very competitive too). Does anyone have any suggestions of fields that I should consider - As I noted above I think I am good at solving problems (often coming up with creative ways to solve them) and am thinking I now I may want to consider a field other than family medicine (though parts of it still has an appeal) where I can be more of an expert at what I do. The bottom line is that I want to do something where I can make a difference while enjoying it.

Members don't see this ad.

lsres said:
I am in a tight spot and am looking for another residency program. I was in a family medicine residency program and it was not working out where I was - Very long hours, emphasis on seeing large volume of patients quickly with poorer quality of care as a result, some attendings missing things. Then I was critcized for my lack of knowledge in some areas and my speed and efficiency (which was undoubtably effected by working hours ACGME would not like). I realize I have some weak areas but was just starting residency and was improving.. But on to my situation. I am now considering everything and am now looking outside family medicine. I want to do work that I enjoy, use my particular talents, have sufficient time off to enjoy life and my family but earn enough to pay off my 250K in loans. This may be tough to find, particularly considering my board scores are not the best but I am willing to try. I had some testing done and I am very good with visual intelligence and problem solving and was told that my mathematical intelligence is very superior. I like working with people but that may not be my strongest area. Two areas I am considering are radiology and PMR. The downside to radiology is that although I got honors in radiology, my board scores are below average and had to repeat them (which is not good for a competitive specialty) and I do want to have some patient contact. PMR is something I have been considering but I did not do a rotation in it while in medical school and have no references from a PMR doctor (and this is getting very competitive too). Does anyone have any suggestions of fields that I should consider - As I noted above I think I am good at solving problems (often coming up with creative ways to solve them) and am thinking I now I may want to consider a field other than family medicine (though parts of it still has an appeal) where I can be more of an expert at what I do. The bottom line is that I want to do something where I can make a difference while enjoying it.
Psychiatry :)

At least finish the intern year. to drop now, will be huge red flag. GL

Finish your intern year. Then why not consider an IM or Peds subspecialty? If math is your thing then I'm sure you'd have fun crunching those numbers for renal dosing, ventilator settings, etc.