Looking for serious advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimberlys

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior neuroscience student. Graduating with ~3.6. Had a rough 2 years. Got a C+ in two introductory bios and gen. chem. Then came out of orgo with an A- and have had between 3.8-3.9 since start of junior year.
I have one semester of research in the psychology department, 100 hours volunteering on a pediatrics floor and about 60 hours shadowing a DO.
I am scheduled to take the MCAT on March 22nd but have been feeling very discouraged. My studying is not going well and I am feeling incapable of doing it right now. I know I still have time should I get the online course and start strong studying now or should I take 2 years off and wait until after I graduate to take the MCAT?
Should I even go to medical school or should I go for something like PA/NP? Ultimately I want to be a mother and have a family and I fear spending so much time in medical school and then missing my biggest dream of being a mother.
The advantage of taking 2 years off is being able to really build my application since I don't believe it is that strong right now, however, 2 years seems like a long time.

PLEASE PLEASE someone give me your input. thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Have you shadowed NP/PA? I would also explore medical specialties that offer relatively more family time, and find MDs in these fields to shadow. If family time and getting into any medical career as quickly as you can are your top priorities (people have different priorities and values, so I understand), NP and especially PA routes are very attractive pathways. I am not sure which one of these offers more family time and flexibilities in work schedule, but if you can see yourself being PA/NP when you shadow them, I would consider them. In this case, you need to be certain that you don't see yourself going to medical school, so that you don't ask yourself later, "What if?"

When you shadowed DO, how did you feel? Did you see yourself in their shoes? If you decide to take 2 years off (there are many non-trads in medicine, and taking 2 years off is not long), I would focus on getting more research done, among several things. One semester of research until senior year is too few, so I would explore full-time research positions for a post-graduation plan. Getting non-clinical volunteering and some unique activities will be helpful as well.

Our local NP program requires a bsn for entry. Don't forget that the time to become a NP is not just the NP program itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a senior neuroscience student. Graduating with ~3.6. Had a rough 2 years. Got a C+ in two introductory bios and gen. chem. Then came out of orgo with an A- and have had between 3.8-3.9 since start of junior year.
I have one semester of research in the psychology department, 100 hours volunteering on a pediatrics floor and about 60 hours shadowing a DO.
I am scheduled to take the MCAT on March 22nd but have been feeling very discouraged. My studying is not going well and I am feeling incapable of doing it right now. I know I still have time should I get the online course and start strong studying now or should I take 2 years off and wait until after I graduate to take the MCAT?
Should I even go to medical school or should I go for something like PA/NP? Ultimately I want to be a mother and have a family and I fear spending so much time in medical school and then missing my biggest dream of being a mother.
The advantage of taking 2 years off is being able to really build my application since I don't believe it is that strong right now, however, 2 years seems like a long time.

PLEASE PLEASE someone give me your input. thank you
All the PA programs in my state require 2000 hours of direct healthcare employment to be eligible for consideration.

If you don't have a "fire in the belly" to be a physician and lead a healthcare team, and if any other career could make you happy, then find another path to providing patient care or contributing to society. Maybe the fire has faded right now due to discouragement or end-of-semester stress, but if it's there somewhere it will roar back to life eventually and give you back the grit and determination you need to conquer the MCAT. Don't rush your decision. Be sure what's right for you so you don't end up being one of those Allo or Osteo students posting about how they want to drop out of med school. Right now, it sounds like you need a break to spend time with friends and family, and a little fun.

That said, my three kids would be a good argument that I didn't miss my dream of being a mother. And I've still enjoyed a highly-satisfying career as a pediatrician.

Reactions: 1 users
All the PA programs in my state require 2000 hours of direct healthcare employment to be eligible for consideration.

If you don't have a "fire in the belly" to be a physician and lead a healthcare team, and if any other career could make you happy, then find another path to providing patient care or contributing to society. Maybe the fire has faded right now due to discouragement or end-of-semester stress, but if it's there somewhere it will roar back to life eventually and give you back the grit and determination you need to conquer the MCAT. Don't rush your decision. Be sure what's right for you so you don't end up being one of those Allo or Osteo students posting about how they want to drop out of med school. Right now, it sounds like you need a break to spend time with friends and family, and a little fun.

That said, my three kids would be a good argument that I didn't miss my dream of being a mother. And I've still enjoyed a highly-satisfying career as a pediatrician.
This 100%.

I have had the pleasure of meeting a dermatologist, anesthesiologist, plastic surgeon, and family medicine physician during the winter break. All were women. Interestingly enough, only the family medicine physician is without children.

What is your current cGPA and sGPA?

Do NOT take the MCAT until you are fully ready for it.

You tell me. Medicine is a calling, like being a priest or a cop. I've had students who have had one child in med school, and have had single moms as students as well. There is no good time to have a child in a medical career, except when you're Professor Emeritus, so you might as well go ahead and have one whenever you're ready to.

What is your opinion on post bacc programs like temple or Hopkins?

This 100%.

I have had the pleasure of meeting a dermatologist, anesthesiologist, plastic surgeon, and family medicine physician during the winter break. All were women. Interestingly enough, only the family medicine physician is without children.
Working with children/families makes them hate kids :laugh:

As for an on topic response, you will definitely need to spend time rounding out your application on top of taking the MCATs, so don't rush it and make the process harder for you. If you're in this funk, studying with this attitude will not be productive. Consider pushing your date back and take a break to evaluate "why medicine?"

If your answer can apply to NP or PA, etc. research those options. You aren't quitting if you don't end up picking the physician route (I know many who have for personal reasons). However, don't let the family issue stop you from choosing med school if that's the only reason and this is really your absolute dream.

Last edited: