Looking For Some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ae16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from the MSU Business School with a degree in Finance and a 3.2 GPA. My senior year I realized what I really wanted to do was become a doctor. The reason I originally chose finance was because I wasn't sure what else I would do. I figured business would give me more options. Because I chose a major in this manner, I wasn't very motivated. I didn't find it very interesting and as a result my GPA suffered. I didn't take the required courses necessary to apply to medical school (Organic Chem, General Chem, Biology, Physics) so I'm currently in the middle of a post bacc program to knock out those requirements.

This is what I've taken thus far and the gradess I've received in the courses I've completed:

Summer 08
General Chem I - 4.0
General Chem II - 4.0

Fall 08
Organic Chem I - 3.5
Biology I - 4.0
Physics I - 4.0

Spring 09
Organic Chem II - Currently Taking Course
Biology II - Currently Taking Course
Physics II - Currently Taking Course

I've also taken several calculous and stats courses in addition to algebra and pre-calc all of which I've gotten either 3.5 or 4.0.

I'm basically wondering if I have any shot at getting into a medical school in the U.S. Will schools look at my recent post bacc scores or is my 3.2 GPA too big of a hurdly to overcome? If I perform similary in my Spring 09 classes as I did the previous semesters I can send my GPA over 3.3 but this still seems low. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to collect as many opinions as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

A high MCAT score could go a long way to compensate for a low GPA, especially in light of your recent academic success. In my experience, adcomms like to see 1.5-2.0 years of excellent grades, not just a single year. Another redemptive feature of an application can be outstanding extracurricular experiences in leadership, research, community service, and clinical experience. The latter two are also essential ingredients to any successful application, and again, adcomms like to see 1.5 years of continuous experience, which can both be satisfied in a volunteer hospital or clinic situation where you work with sick people face to face. Other factors that can give one more hope would be having a forgiving, less-selective state school, belonging to a population segment that is underrepresented in medicine, or having an interest in rural medicine.

If you haven't considered it, you might also look into applying to DO (osteopathic) medical schools who tend to be more forgiving of past academic problems.