Looking for some help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheWiredNerv

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I help run a pre-health professions club at my school and one of the pre-optometry members asked me a question that I didn't know the answer to so I thought I'd relay the question to you guys. Here is her situation.

She has a committee letter from her university but some of the optometry schools she is applying to considers that as only 1 letter of rec. She has two more letters of rec from the optometry office she works in but only contains 1 copy of each. She wanted to know what she should do. I am not familiar with the optometry application process so I told her I'd research the issue. I was under the impression that a committee letter of evaluation would satisfy the 3 letter requirement since at my university, the committee letter is composed of 5 letters of rec from different professors. Thanks for the help.
 
She is correct in saying that some optometry schools will only count that as one letter. I know one of the schools requires EITHER 3 letters or 1 committee letter. But, other schools will only count it as 1 letter and you will need others to satisfy the requirement.
 
So her best course of action would be finding two more people to write letters for her?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would first call the schools that she is interested in and ask them to make sure. And then if it is the case that she needs more, then I would start finding more letters.
 
I would ask the optometry offices for additional copies of the recommendation. The optometrist probably wrote it on their computer and so it'll probably be easy to reprint.