Technology Looking for T-mobile phone/pda combo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjzoey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know any phone/pda combo that works with t-mobile?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

if you really want to stay with T-mobile it looks like the T-mobile Dash is your only option (windows only though). blackberry's don't offer medical software to my knowledge.

if you really want a smartphone I suggest cingular, sprint, verizon for their options.

If you don't mind getting a device second-hand or through some place such as Ebay, I would put forth the T-mobile MDA (equivalent to Cingular's 8125 PPC Phone). That seems like a nice device and actually runs the "full blown" Windows Mobile OS, as opposed to the Smartphone edition. (I am a little biased in liking the non-smartphone stuff since I use a dedicated pocket pc.)

Otherwise, hunting around for any unlocked phone that has the PDA functions you want should suffice as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Otherwise, hunting around for any unlocked phone that has the PDA functions you want should suffice as well.

Ya, for example, you could get an unlocked Palm Treo 680:

(Palm One) said:
Our "unlocked" GSM Treo™ 680 smartphone works with almost any GSM/GPRS/EDGE network worldwide, so you can use it with your existing GSM/GPRS/EDGE service plan. Or use it overseas with additional international service from your service provider or a new SIM from an international service provider. Perfect for the frequent international traveler.

NOTE: Please call your mobile phone service provider to make sure their service is compatible with phones that run on the GSM/GPRS/EDGE network before purchasing an unlocked GSM Treo 680 smartphone.

Figure out if T Mobile will be compatible and an unlocked smartphone would be your best bet.

if you really want to stay with T-mobile it looks like the T-mobile Dash is your only option (windows only though). blackberry's don't offer medical software to my knowledge.

if you really want a smartphone I suggest cingular, sprint, verizon for their options.

Do you not like the Dash, or is there a particular smartphone that you prefer, and that is compatible with these other providers? I have T-Mobile and have been thinking about the Dash myself. It seems like a good, versatile, comfortable product. What am I missing?

It's not that I don't like the Dash, it actually has a pretty cool form factor, I just don't know enough about it to give a whole hearted recommendation for it. I do not know if it has a touch screen or not which I personally consider mandatory for these devides. Next, I believe it runs on windows PPC which for me is a minus.

if it does have a touch screen though and runs windows allowing you to add enough 3rd party med software then it should be a decent smartphone for the wards.

if you get it please let us know your thoughts.

and in terms of preference, if you search around you'll see I'm clearly biased to the treo with palm OS (650 for me)

ok, just did some looking and it turns out NO touch screen and NO ability to modify documents (word, excel, powerpoint) once they are loaded onto the Dash. all big CONS in my book, the one plus is that it does have WiFi. however this isn't enough to outweigh the negatives for me.

It's not that I don't like the Dash, it actually has a pretty cool form factor, I just don't know enough about it to give a whole hearted recommendation for it. I do not know if it has a touch screen or not which I personally consider mandatory for these devides. Next, I believe it runs on windows PPC which for me is a minus.

if it does have a touch screen though and runs windows allowing you to add enough 3rd party med software then it should be a decent smartphone for the wards.

if you get it please let us know your thoughts.

and in terms of preference, if you search around you'll see I'm clearly biased to the treo with palm OS (650 for me)

ok, just did some looking and it turns out NO touch screen and NO ability to modify documents (word, excel, powerpoint) once they are loaded onto the Dash. all big CONS in my book, the one plus is that it does have WiFi. however this isn't enough to outweigh the negatives for me.

The inability to alter documents seems unfortunate to me too, but I'm not sure how big of a deal it ultimately is since I'm not giving up my computer any time soon. Am I living an illusion?

The Dash does run Windows (and allow you to add lots of third-party software), doesn't it?

Why do you think that the touch screen is such a necessity? I was under the impression that this was actually going by the wayside all around. Untrue?

It does also seem that WiFi would be a huge plus, which was a big selling point in my original assessment of the Dash. Since you love the Treo so much, what do you have to say about its deficiency in this regard? Have you simply resigned yourself to subpar internet connectivity, or do you find that it isn't really as big of a deal as I have come to believe that it is?

not having a touch screen would be akin to using your computer without a mouse, gets old real fast.

i personally love being able to modify docs on the fly. my school uses some procedure logs that we download in word format and i can easily (and legibly) modify those and not have to worry about turning in a rumpled piece of paper at the end of my rotations (just one example there).

i personally don't like the windows format, too many menus to shuffle through but if you don't know palm yet you may not find it that annoying.

i don't mind not having wifi as i do have a data plan and can access internet ANYWHERE, not just where wifi is. however, if cost is a major factor free wifi especially if it's available in your hospital would be nice. i really don't have any problem using the internet on the treo but to be honest i'm not finding much need to surf. i have a lot of medical software on my treo and don't really need to access any websites for info. plus you can always convert html pages into isilo format and store it on a SD card to access without internet.

check out some reviews on line like at cnet.com etc with video reviews, and go to a store that carries multiple versions to find what works best for you.

-J

I've had the HTC Wizard (T-Mobile MDA) since last May. It's been good to me, and I haven't had any problems with it. I definitely think the Wizard is a solid choice if you decide to go that route.

I've had the HTC Wizard (T-Mobile MDA) since last May. It's been good to me, and I haven't had any problems with it. I definitely think the Wizard is a solid choice if you decide to go that route.
They have a successor to the Wizard (8125 on Cingular), the 8525, and it is a solid device as well. I would highly recommend it.

They have a successor to the Wizard (8125 on Cingular), the 8525, and it is a solid device as well. I would highly recommend it.

True, the HTC TyTN looks mighty sweet. Too bad it's a Cingular exclusive...

You can purchase the TyTN directly from HTC or get an "unlocked" model to use on T-Mobile.

Yeah, I was looking at unlocked ones on eBay when I posted last. They're pretty expensive. But also, I got my Wizard not even a year ago so there's no rush for a new HTC phone yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't need UMTS broadband take a look at the HTC P4350 it's a lot like the cingular 8125, but significantly smaller. It is only available as an unlocked phone. But hey, at least you won't be in another two year contract and can jump ship to cingular or vice versa if they piss you off.

Hey Eponym, have you seen the HTC Kaiser? It makes me drool...

Hmmmm, still thinking. I've been to several stores and spent a lot of time on the web, but I still can't decide. The 8525 seems like the coolest thing out there, but I don't know that I need quite that much pizzaz given the cost. Furthermore, if I decide to jump ship and abandon T-Mobile, Sprint is looking like a better friend than Cingular. The Treo P 700 is looking pretty good right now, but...

1) Is it true that Palm OS is getting too old, and that the promised Palm 6.0 has been delayed time and time again with no end to the wait in sight? The Sprint salesperson told me this and seemed to think that it was pretty significant. A lot of people seem to prefer Palm to Windows, actually, but he seemed more savvy than the people I know. What criteria should I be using here to judge these OSes? I've never used a PDA, so I'm not used to either one.

2) Is UMTS broadband really necessary (or highly beneficial)? Should it matter to me?

3) Any thoughts on Sprint over Cingular and T-Mobile (especially in Seattle, Chapel Hill and San Francisco)?

Help! If someone could just make my decision for me and PM it to me, that would be great. Thanks.

1) Is it true that Palm OS is getting too old, and that the promised Palm 6.0 has been delayed time and time again with no end to the wait in sight?
This is fairly accurate. Access did recently show off a prototype of the ALP OS at CeBit, but that doesn't mean much. What can be said for sure is that the Palm OS as you know it is dead and will never receive another major OS revision.

What criteria should I be using here to judge these OSes? I've never used a PDA, so I'm not used to either one.
That's a tough question to answer without knowing exactly what you need/expect/want out of a platform.

2) Is UMTS broadband really necessary (or highly beneficial)? Should it matter to me?
UMTS is kinda seen as last gen. by now, you should be asking "Is HSDPA (or EVDO-Rev A) really necessary?" and that all depends on what you want to use your PDA for. If you plan to tether it to your laptop as a main source of internet or you plan on surfing/downloading a lot on your PDA then I would say "Yes" otherwise it won't really matter.

I run PEPID (www.pepid.com - disclaimer: I have NO commercial affiliation, I'm just a satisfied user) on my T-mobile Blackberry Pearl. It works GREAT!

- H

I have T-Mobile, a Mac, and I just bought the Treo 680. I've had some growing pains, purchased The Missing Sync, and everything seems to be running smoothly now. I use epocrates and several Skyscape programs. I realize this is a Palm based device but might be an option to consider.

I've had a T-Mobile MDA since last June. It runes Windows Mobile 5. Basically windows on your phone/PDA. It is not a smartphone, it is a PDA+phone. Touchscreen. Wifi. Slide-out keyboard. And the flexibility of being able to install whatever you want on it, customize it, etc. Most of which you cannot do with a smartphone, ie. Dash, SDA, Q, all of which run a different operating system. You can buy it, as I did, directly from T-Mobile. With rebate and discounts now, it's prolly around $250. As someone else mentioned, there's a newer generation available from Cingular, which means the T-Mobile follow-up is prolly coming soon. They're really HTC devices, who then sells them to Cingular and T-Mobile to rebrand/market. I chose T-Mobile because they are so much cheaper both for data and phone plans. I also have a Cingular phone that I use when I don't want to carry around the admitedly larger MDA.

Question...

So if I get a Treo, and I have T-Mobile, do I need to unlock it?

Will my sim card work?

Question...

So if I get a Treo, and I have T-Mobile, do I need to unlock it?

Will my sim card work?

I bought an UNLOCKED version from Palm and just put my T-Mobile sim card in...it has worked fine.

I do have to mention, though, the battery life has been abysmal.

can i hot sync things from my Palm TE to a Treo phone like a Palm to Palm hot sync?

Thanks.