Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys!
I am currently living in Pittsburgh, on the brink of graduation and looking to move to the San Fran Bay Area to start working in March. I totally fell in love with peds on my last clinical rotation and would like to stay within this setting. My work was in a school but I would ideally like to work in outpatient or rehab. I don't know anyone from the area and was wondering if anyone had advice for me, mainly:
-I am searching on Indeed.com and seeing mostly school-based pediatric jobs. Does anyone have suggestions for finding inpatient rehab or OP peds (i.e. certain health systems)?
-I understand that there is a shortage of PTs in this area- does anyone know if this applies to peds as well? Will it be necessary for me to travel outside of the city for a peds job? I would really like to be able to use public transportation. My affil was in a center school for children with disabilities so I wasn't driving around from school to school. When my CI was absent, I worked with a couple of PTs that had to travel from school to school and it looked like kind of a pain/would be difficult as a new grad. Also my start date is March 1 which doesn't align with the school year. BUT I love peds and if it has to be a school then that is fine.
-Any suggestions for places to live in this area that are safe and at least relatively affordable?
A little about my strengths:
-I had two years of experience working in community outreach/research for a neurology clinic before I came to PT school.
-Don't want to toot my own horn too much, but I did really well in PT school both academically and in my clinicals (1 OP ortho, 1 OP neuro, an acute care affil that was a little messed up because of where I was- long story in another previous post, the school-based peds).
-I had some leadership roles/awards in school
My weakness:
-I am a new grad thus do not have the 6 months-1 year continuous experience that some of these places are looking for.
Thanks in advance!
I am currently living in Pittsburgh, on the brink of graduation and looking to move to the San Fran Bay Area to start working in March. I totally fell in love with peds on my last clinical rotation and would like to stay within this setting. My work was in a school but I would ideally like to work in outpatient or rehab. I don't know anyone from the area and was wondering if anyone had advice for me, mainly:
-I am searching on Indeed.com and seeing mostly school-based pediatric jobs. Does anyone have suggestions for finding inpatient rehab or OP peds (i.e. certain health systems)?
-I understand that there is a shortage of PTs in this area- does anyone know if this applies to peds as well? Will it be necessary for me to travel outside of the city for a peds job? I would really like to be able to use public transportation. My affil was in a center school for children with disabilities so I wasn't driving around from school to school. When my CI was absent, I worked with a couple of PTs that had to travel from school to school and it looked like kind of a pain/would be difficult as a new grad. Also my start date is March 1 which doesn't align with the school year. BUT I love peds and if it has to be a school then that is fine.
-Any suggestions for places to live in this area that are safe and at least relatively affordable?
A little about my strengths:
-I had two years of experience working in community outreach/research for a neurology clinic before I came to PT school.
-Don't want to toot my own horn too much, but I did really well in PT school both academically and in my clinicals (1 OP ortho, 1 OP neuro, an acute care affil that was a little messed up because of where I was- long story in another previous post, the school-based peds).
-I had some leadership roles/awards in school
My weakness:
-I am a new grad thus do not have the 6 months-1 year continuous experience that some of these places are looking for.
Thanks in advance!