-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
looking forward to gross anatomy?
Started by Gildan123
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm looking forward to my second time with the cadavers. I did a full head to toe dissection last spring in my masters program... it was awesome. It's gross sometimes, but nothing to worry about. No one threw up or passed out in my class... i actually thought i might be the one, but everything went smoothly. Only thing i'm bummed about is that at Nova we don't get to cut! we just look at what the D.O. students did.
anatomy and physiology has been my favorite class in the past 4.5 years. we had several cadavers to study in lab. i'm looking forward to gross. i love that stuff.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last year I did an upper division anatomy class for my undergrad. We had two undissected cadavers to work on from scratch. Our professor prepared us well to handle it with sensitivity and respect for the person who freely gave their body so that we could learn.
While I was apprehensive at first, once I literally got my hands inside and started working, it was a lot easier to do. You never forget that it used to be a living person, but you start thinking of it more as a specimen for study.
So, yes, I am looking forward to the opportunity again. I hope wherever I go that I get to dissect instead of using prosected cadavers.
While I was apprehensive at first, once I literally got my hands inside and started working, it was a lot easier to do. You never forget that it used to be a living person, but you start thinking of it more as a specimen for study.
So, yes, I am looking forward to the opportunity again. I hope wherever I go that I get to dissect instead of using prosected cadavers.
I have never had a human anatomy course before because my school only offers a nursing level one (waste of time.) I have had comparative anatomy, though I doubt if that will help me much.
i've never taken anatomy but i took lots of physiology courses but there was no labs with them we did like virtual labs on a pc program but no wet labs.
i watch lots of medical programs and live surgeries and i am totally fine with it but i think when i actually do a gross anatomy i would be the one who pass out lol.
I am actually dying to get into dental school so i just hope i get into one soon 🙄🙄🙄
i watch lots of medical programs and live surgeries and i am totally fine with it but i think when i actually do a gross anatomy i would be the one who pass out lol.
I am actually dying to get into dental school so i just hope i get into one soon 🙄🙄🙄
It's one of the hardest courses in dental school so if you guys and gals can pull an A on it. You will be having a very promising start. The problem is can we survive this with histo, physio, biochem, etc... taken simultaneously.
Its fun for a few weeks
the absolute worst is the formaldehyde smell. especially if your cadavers have been laying around a few years, like at my school.
the absolute worst is the formaldehyde smell. especially if your cadavers have been laying around a few years, like at my school.
when i expressed concern about this, someone recommended that i put vicks vapor rub right under my nose and it made a tremendous difference when i sat in on the gross anatomy lab at UMDNJ.
anyone here looking forward to gross anatomy?
When I first got to school I wasn't too thrilled, but after a couple of times down there, it gets cooler and cooler. It also kinda desensitizes you to alot of stuff.
My advice, go see all the scary/gory movies you can before you get your self elbow deep in the dissecting ...I went to see SAW III last october. Didn't do anything for me. 😉
so does catching a cold & not being able to breathe thru your nose 😉 honestly tho, it's bad here. they're supposed to have amazing ventilation to take those fumes out, but it's broken. that whole side of the building smells like formaldehyde.when i expressed concern about this, someone recommended that i put vicks vapor rub right under my nose and it made a tremendous difference when i sat in on the gross anatomy lab at UMDNJ.
i've heard from others students that have gone to dental school after attending our school and they say it's a night & day difference in that you'll have 'fresher' cadavers and working ventilation. so no worries.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have never had a human anatomy course before because my school only offers a nursing level one (waste of time.) I have had comparative anatomy, though I doubt if that will help me much.
Our undergrad anatomy course is a nursing level- so the physiology is a little easier, but we still have to memorize all of the structures. I've enjoyed it so far, and I think it will definitely help out with d school
In fact, this afternoon we're going to the gross anatomy lab at Vanderbilt Medical School - it should be a fun little field trip!
Anatomy labs were the most fun I had as an undergraduate! I took two semesters of human anatomy, and loved the labs! I can't wait until I can start cutting, since I have always wanted to do it!
The smell in our lab isn't too bad, but we don't use formaldehyde (does anyone actually still use formaldehyde since it was found to be mildly carcinogenic?) but rather phenoxyethanol which doesn't have a terribly strong odor.
The best advice I can give is to just lose yourself in the experience. Don't think about how weird it is, just dive in and learn!
The smell in our lab isn't too bad, but we don't use formaldehyde (does anyone actually still use formaldehyde since it was found to be mildly carcinogenic?) but rather phenoxyethanol which doesn't have a terribly strong odor.
The best advice I can give is to just lose yourself in the experience. Don't think about how weird it is, just dive in and learn!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 2K
